How to get ready for a mandarin?

dmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a mandarin goby for my 60g rimless cube. Going 9 mnths strong. I dont have a refugium. And not a whole lot of room in my sump its 18x18x18. What can i do to keep pods going or any advice would be great. Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm...I'd say lots of live rock in the DT would help. I think you could possibly still keep either some LR rubble or a VERY small fuge in your sump. I actually built a DIY box out of eggcrate and used it as a fuge for a while. You might consider something like that. Even dropping one of those bath sponges (see pic) can be a good place for pods to grow (I'd put it in the sump...not the DT. LOL)
bathsponge.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scooter dragonet in my 29 gal, going on 4 or 5 months now. While I have a refugium and a large amount of rock in my tank, the little guy really hammers on the pod population. Because of this I order a 1200 pack of pods from getyourpods.com about every couple of months. I'm lucky in that my little guy loves frozen and pellets as well.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that would be a place for the pods to hide and reproduce, but I think you will still have to supplement their diet with something. The little guys are always on the hunt for food. You can look into training the mandarin to take frozen foods.

OP
OP
dmann

dmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if i could get an lfs to order one and get it to eat frozen before i get it. How often do you feed them other than the pods?

OP
OP
dmann

dmann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered one from the lfs. He said he would get it eating frozen for me before i pick it up. Awesome guy. Im still going to seed the tank bit now its just that little extra bit i dont have to worry sbout

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back