feather star problem

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse my brevity - on mobile device.

Is anyone aware of a condition where feather stars drop their oral disk? I have seen the white center before and been confused, but this is the first time I have caught a glimpse of what might be happening.

This one has been in my tank for over a year and shown significant growth in captivity.

Thoughts/input are appreciated... Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20140914_192610.jpg
    IMG_20140914_192610.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20140914_192616.jpg
    IMG_20140914_192616.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 169

blkflm6888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on having it this long everything i read its extremely hard to keep. I like them but ima newbie so maybe not a good mix

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when they toss the tops is under stress. Something picking on it or water params.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love Feather Stars.
I was also surprised at how long you have had it and I hope it continues to do well .

Sent from my iPhone using REEF2REEF

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something is going weird in the tank. Nitrates/nitrates/phosphates undetectable but now both feathers in the tank are falling apart - not just the crowns... I had some bizarre issue in an unconnected tank recently as well where my puffer seemed to have gone blind for a week (stable water, of course) which is supposedly indicative of nitrate poisoning or some bacterial issue. Maybe there is an airborn pathegoen of some sort? :(

Will keep doing water changes daily and hope for best.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wendy - up until this point I've found them very easy to care for and have a couple in my tank at work that have been there for a couple years now... Algae scrubbers + heavily stocked microfauna populations, and focusing on feeding microfauna seems to do the trick.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized the only difference has been that I started feeding Reef nutrition Phyofeast to the tank; wonder if there is any possibility the food was contaminated.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use phytofeast in very small doses but have read to where it has been referred to as liquid phosphate. How large of a dose did you start with? I started very small and worked my tank up to a larger dose.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 4 drops 2x a day in lieu of some of the powdered foods.

I try to mostly address the diet of my microfauna and let them feed everything else. Shouldn't be enough to cause additional bioload, so I am suspecting contamination whether it be food or something in the air.

Dreading going home to see more dropped arms.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they both have died. The squat lobster from the picture has left the star for the first time in a year and the star seems to have fallen off the rock it was perched on. The other looks no better and had dropped several arms in the last few days.

I am leaving them for now - the system has a pair of oversized algae scrubbers running on opposing photo cycles and the water still tests good (ammonia, nitrites, phosphates nonexistent) so we will hope for some miraculous recovery.

Meanwhile - :(

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anything eat discarded limbs from feather stars? None of my CUC ever has (they drop arms when growing for those unfamiliar) although perhaps I removed them too quickly.

Crabs/snails are staying away right now as well...

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK lied about that - swarmed with benthic copepods.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back