Best shrimp 4 blue spotted jawfish ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, is the best shrimp a Tiger, Pistol or something better , for the symbiotic relationship ?
Kevin

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you're confusing jawfish and gobies (there is a blue spotted goby). I wouldn't recommend trying to put a burrowing shrimp (e.g. pistol) with a blue spotted jawfish.

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Spots love eating ghost (glass) shrimp. I would not put a small shrimp in there unless you want to see the jawfish do his impression of a squirrel with his cheeks full of acorns.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Spots love eating ghost (glass) shrimp. I would not put a small shrimp in there unless you want to see the jawfish do his impression of a squirrel with his cheeks full of acorns.

lol....

Yep, must be thinking of the gobies, like the yellow goby.

In this tank we have a Blood Shrimp, will it be ok with the Blue Spot Jawfish ?

Last edited:

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410899786.036244.jpg

Mine seems to like my clam

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about adding PVC pipe or not, as a tunnel ?

If so, what size ?

I have on hand either 1" or 1.25", and may have larger in the shop.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had to add one, I have fine sand I notice him try to jump one day when he was between homes(got sick of his old tunnel) I put a handful of crushed coral in and he went to town building barricades throughout the sand.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I like the idea or not and have thought of the pro's & con's of each way.

I want to give this guy as perfect of a home that we can. He'll someday go to a larger tank.

It's not natural, so would he used it ?
It would make for a crush proof tunnel and always there.

I guess I'll put it in and let him,..... decide ! :der:

Tell me about your tank and Blue Jaw. Good, bad, & ugly etc......
When did you get him & how long etc ?

Write as much as you want and add any pic's,vids and information !

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have spent quite some money on these guys when I seen them I just had to have one. I bought one and had him for about a week to come home and find him struggling to get out from under a rock (tunnel he made shifted my rocks) he was alive when I found him I dug him out and he died off from (not sure how long he was there I had just got home from school). Anyways that tank ended up leaking due to poorly built stand on carpet wasn't level. it was my first setup so I did not know that putting rocks in after sand would cause such a problem. So almost a year later I find another one in my LFS and had to give it another try knowing I have set my tank up nice and proper stand/rocks/everything only thing was the one I wanted seemed to be a bit nipped at. I made the poor choice to buy him anyways, next day I found him dead on the sand with crabs all over him. I had snapped a pic to show to my LFS got 50% off and bought another a few weeks later this one has been in my tank about a month and a half now.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410903288.112896.jpg

In that month and a half he has been through several homes in rocks, front of tank against glass just about everywhere. I spot feed him brine shrimp and pellets every morning before I head off to school (with a turkey baster). one night I was watching the tank as usual and got excited to see him swim toward the top out of his home (unusual for him to do) so I thought maybe he was hungry I got a few pellets tried feeding and he ignored them(also unusual) so I just the lid and continued to observe. I have a tight fitting lid with about half a centimetre gap and he tried to jump making a splash he failed to get out. Me being paranoid I have now put electrical tape over the cracks (all the horror stories about them finding the smallest way out had me scared). To this day my lid still had some tape incase and he has not tried jumping after I put the crushed coral in, in fact he actually likes to glide around the top with his head poking out the odd time. I'll post a video of it in a few I noticed this last night. He seems to be very healthy active and just loves switching up his hang out every few days.

Justin1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have spent quite some money on these guys when I seen them I just had to have one. I bought one and had him for about a week to come home and find him struggling to get out from under a rock (tunnel he made shifted my rocks) he was alive when I found him I dug him out and he died off from (not sure how long he was there I had just got home from school). Anyways that tank ended up leaking due to poorly built stand on carpet wasn't level. it was my first setup so I did not know that putting rocks in after sand would cause such a problem. So almost a year later I find another one in my LFS and had to give it another try knowing I have set my tank up nice and proper stand/rocks/everything only thing was the one I wanted seemed to be a bit nipped at. I made the poor choice to buy him anyways, next day I found him dead on the sand with crabs all over him. I had snapped a pic to show to my LFS got 50% off and bought another a few weeks later this one has been in my tank about a month and a half now.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410903288.112896.jpg

In that month and a half he has been through several homes in rocks, front of tank against glass just about everywhere. I spot feed him brine shrimp and pellets every morning before I head off to school (with a turkey baster). one night I was watching the tank as usual and got excited to see him swim toward the top out of his home (unusual for him to do) so I thought maybe he was hungry I got a few pellets tried feeding and he ignored them(also unusual) so I just the lid and continued to observe. I have a tight fitting lid with about half a centimetre gap and he tried to jump making a splash he failed to get out. Me being paranoid I have now put electrical tape over the cracks (all the horror stories about them finding the smallest way out had me scared). To this day my lid still had some tape incase and he has not tried jumping after I put the crushed coral in, in fact he actually likes to glide around the top with his head poking out the odd time. I'll post a video of it in a few I noticed this last night. He seems to be very healthy active and just loves switching up his hang out every few days.

Forgot to mention my tank is a 60 cube.

Elysium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eylisum- I assume you mean this particular Goby, the Blue Spot Shrimp Goby, Cryptocentrus pavoninoides ?

http://www.aquacon.com/images/BlueSpotGoby1.jpg

You got it. Jawfish are more fun if you can keep them. I had a build thread for a BSJ a while back.

One the sand recommendations I would recommend 60% oolitic, 20% special grade reef sand, 10% crushed coral, and 10% quarter (currency) sized rubble mixed into the substrate. The coarser top in the build thread was a definite no go.

For covering your tank, I suggest the BRS 1/4" mesh as it has some give. My tank was 24" deep and the one jawfish was able to pickup enough speed in the water column to break its neck on the hard acrylic on mine.

I'm currently building a 30 gallon cube for my moustache jawfish.

Back