Gorilla crabs to work

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So i've put these guys to work , my Gorilla crabs. My tanks have huges 6 foot coast to coast over flows , which i clean by stirring up every other day and the water movement just flushes out into the drain . But still little thing stays and thats when these guys comes in. cleaning overflows is important to keep my nitrates down specially with my set up that i love by the way, its a very efficient skimming machine. Nothing beat an external coast to coast.

594.jpg

So i've put a rock for his castle lol

588.jpg

There's the animal, the second one i didn't need to disturb for this demo its the same thing he's just bigger and meaner and i didn't want to handle it, because he's bigger with bigger claws and he pinches more lol.

587.jpg

586.jpg

585.jpg

Then i put a bit of greenery for food and camouflage while he waits for his next dinner.

595.jpg

Now in the tanks i always have lots of bristle worms that poke their noses so i take them out and put them in the overflow, they eat left over and get fat and eventually become din din for buddy here, perfect food chain and my overflow is well taken care of. Far better than to leave them in a dark refugium.

593.jpg

I have one for the reef

173.jpg

And one for my display refugium.

569.jpg

Both have coast to coast overfows and the refugium feeds by gravity my reef vs a 1" bulkhead on the left side.

Photo701.jpg

I write big for my iphone friends

1520698_240722322762827_1934331083_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome!!!

Like MEL B. Would sy on Americas got talent . That tank is off te chaiiiii nnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Good work , got any close ups of the reef? Looks really nice and clean.!

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pagey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice. I love the idea of an oversized fuge and you've gone and made it a display. Really great idea, it's now on my bucket list hahaha.....

salty_d0g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely Refreshing Behavior :D

While I understand the mentality behind removing pests (after all, who wants a hitchhiking this or that to ruin hundreds of dollars and time spent?), but what I really and truly love to see, is when someone makes lemonade out of lemons like you did here. None of the critters we pick up as hitchhikers come with a vendetta against us, or some predisposition to wreak havoc on us. They are just animals doing what they are hardwired to do. Eat, sleep, and reproduce if possible. Glad to see you didn't wantonly destroy the little guys, and can manage to keep even your "pests" happy.

You're a Class A reef tanker if you ask me.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I understand the mentality behind removing pests (after all, who wants a hitchhiking this or that to ruin hundreds of dollars and time spent?), but what I really and truly love to see, is when someone makes lemonade out of lemons like you did here. None of the critters we pick up as hitchhikers come with a vendetta against us, or some predisposition to wreak havoc on us. They are just animals doing what they are hardwired to do. Eat, sleep, and reproduce if possible. Glad to see you didn't wantonly destroy the little guys, and can manage to keep even your "pests" happy.

You're a Class A reef tanker if you ask me.

Thanks ; i actually bought it lol. Caught the first one.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new crab

Saved by me , lol i got another gorilla crab destine to be trashed i guess, so here is his new home. Its my pod farm , my excess macro algaes depository, my mini independant fuge also a hospital ,because right now i have an sick urchin in there who's getting better with all the free buffet, lol.

714.jpg

716.jpg

I've got 2 filters, a bubble machine for the pods they like lots of air apparently, it just a experimental tank really, not really going by the book here for any hospital tank or pods factory, or fuge.

724.jpg

Its a 5 G tank that i had and instead of throwing away all my macro cuttings i decided to put them in one of my water change waters one day and it became , what it became now.

719.jpg

718.jpg

722.jpg

Quite cosy for a refuge for pods and critters alike.

721.jpg

720.jpg

The crab will have bristles worms to eat because they usually are inbeded in some of my macro's and because i feed my pods they feed as well. And multiply.

723.jpg

So don't kill the crab give him a home .:dance:

tumblr_mz7pa7GHvA1qfqs2do1_500.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back