Silversides

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that silversides carry bacteria or could carry it in their gut.. Be careful on that standpoint.
I feed my bta and other nems either shrimp, or scallops only.

ermartin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prepackaged stuff or stuff from the grocery stores?
I buy the stuff from the seafood counter. I have never used scallops but I use the shrimp and cut it up in nice size chunks leaving the shell on. i keep it in the freezer as i only feed my BTA's maybe every 2 weeks to once a month

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just get regular sized silversides and cut them up?

Orbela

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving the shell on is ok? Ive been told its bad idk

It actually doesn't harm the bta. I can't find the study but that says it benefits with minerals I just don't remember which but they won't miss it either if you decide to peel. I think only hazard would be if a hungry fish decides to eat it. I don't think all fish can digest the exoskeleton.

chiblackhawks4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fed mine anything besides shelled and finely chopped shrimp from the seafood counter. They also eat the mix I feed the tank. Id say stay away from silversides, heard many horror stories. I directly feed my nems once or twice a week.

MuseCrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find frozen silversides in any pet store, those are supposed to be cleaner than live ones.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fed mine anything besides shelled and finely chopped shrimp from the seafood counter. They also eat the mix I feed the tank. Id say stay away from silversides, heard many horror stories. I directly feed my nems once or twice a week.

I don't get why most people aren't doing this'd or tier nems or fish. Its far cleaner, cheaper and dare I say more nutritious than most packaged fish foods. The only packaged foods I feed my tank is mysis and nori.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why most people aren't doing this'd or tier nems or fish. Its far cleaner, cheaper and dare I say more nutritious than most packaged fish foods. The only packaged foods I feed my tank is mysis and nori.
I hear that!!! I get my shrimp from the local counter where they laugh at me for buying 5 shrimp and scallops at a time.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I always used to get questioned why I want 1 prawn and 1 squid ring haha. Now most of them know me and start wrapping up my order when they see me coming. If I ever ask for more than the regular they usually laugh and say something like "your eel hungry today eh?" :)

What terrible spelling in my last comment......stupid auto correct.

Last edited:

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My best encounter when buying raw shrimp/scallops at Krogers,

Me: I would like 3 shrimp

Two guys: Heavy eater, don't eat it all at once hehe

Me: It's actually for my saltwater fish tank

Two guys: I don't think those are going to swim around in your tank

Me: Haha, it's for feeding my anemones

Two guys: ?????

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use silversides for any anemone. Lost an otherwise healthy H. malu to their use, and I know a couple other seasoned anemone keepers that have had similar experiences.

For an E. quadricolor, I wouldn't feed it anything larger than Mysis shrimp -- in the wild they don't eat anything larger than that.

In addition, the larger the food, the harder it is for the anemone to digest, which could leave undigested food -- will foul the internal water of the anemone.
If you are seeing a waste ball from an anemone after feeding it, you are feeding it too much at once and/or too large of food.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back