Huge Bristle Worm attacks my goby!!

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a huge britle worm in my tank about 5' long. I was looking at my gold head goby in his cave, but I saw something on him. It was crawling on top of him. It look like it didnt mind it being their until it tried to wrap around him or maybe he was trying to go around the goby? My goby just moved out side the tank quickly, then just went back in his cave. I have a video and some pictures.. what should I do? How do I take it out? Or do I leave it alone?

OP
OP
P

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant post the video dont know how

Attachments

• 1412008405022.jpg
    1412008405022.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 607
  • 1412008448557.jpg
    1412008448557.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 583
  • 1412008488425.jpg
    1412008488425.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 573
OP
OP
P

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking?? Can I take out the rock that the britle worm is in? And soak it in water??

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they're big enough they can kill the fish if they're slow or sleeping (from what i've read around R2R, never seen it or witness...). If u know the rock, u can just take it out and soak it in RO/DI water. kill everything pretty much and recure it. or move it to another empty tank and eventually the worm will come out and then u snatch it with a tong.

OP
OP
P

polancoeddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to try to take it out tonight or tomorrow im late for work my goby is about 5'. The britle worm keeps coming ouy probably because I switched foods from pellets to frozen food and my fishes are going crazy for it. The britle worm must be going crazy for it too. I think I can grab it with a tong

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bristle worm. I cant remember the real name but its a type of fire worm. You definitely need to get it out of there before it destroys your tank. Trust me on this. Mine would only come out at night and eat my acros and grew to about 7' plus before I noticed it. It eventually went thru the sump an got chewed up by the return pump and crashed my tank. Those worms are bad news. Good Luck!

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other guy claims he has a seven foot worm that he never noticed ... Yr tank better be 400 g to not notice that

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a type of fire worm there and I would remove it, but just don't touch it with your hands. I think panty hose with food inside is one way but I usually just get them with long tweezers after the lights go out unless you see it out with the lights on. I use a wrasse to control my population of them in my tank and usually I only see very small ones if I move a large rock or something the wrasse can't move on its own. Here is also a good video that will show you the difference and explain a little about them: Good Worms vs Bad Worms - YouTube

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5' long? That's five feet? Or do you mean 5" as in five inches?

From the pictures it looks like a typo by the OP because 5' would mean that it would take a crane to get that rock in the tank and I have never seen a 2' purple firefish or goby in a tank! Just my observation by looking at the pics posted! :)

Back