Boy is that stupid!!!!

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had an order put in and it was sent from Florida with live stock, this monday at 2;30 pm it arrived today tuesday in Ottawa at 5pm at the postal deposit and then sent to the UPS store from which i'm suppose to get it from and it close at 6pm.

So do you think , my inverts;

4 fuzzy chitton, 20 nassarius vibex, 10 limpets , and my 50 zig zag periwinkles will survive another night? Because i'm grrrrrrrrrr that schedule was terrible.

I'm going to pick them up at opening time 7am.

Last edited:

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the weather has been mild and your critters will be okay.I have received nassarius snails and hermits with two day shipping .The water was foul but they recovered.I would bring a bucket will some of your aquarium water along for the ride home.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your critters?

95% made it ok , and after acclimatation 90 % in the tank. , much better than expected.

Fuzzy chiton being probed by a seahorse lol.

085.jpg

Limpets, they come in these shells for supports

096.jpg

Vibex and perri winkles

090.jpg

Big vibex on the run

082.jpg

Big zig zag perri wingkle made it out of the shell on the left of a giangantic fromia seastar

102.jpg

Adding diversity to my tank. I met Albert Thiel at the 60th anniversary of are club in Ottawa and had a few conversation with him this is one of the conversation.

I like diversity and from the mouth of Albert Thiel ; too many tanks are devoided of it, its hermiths and snails and corals , and most of the little guys are forgoten .

People are so obsessed with their parameters, low nutrients and cleaning their tank, that they remove everything from the bottom, including the living creatures from their sandbed who help in the natural cleaning of the tank itself.

He said to me , he ask's people at night what do you see on your sandbed? And most say nothing. And that's sad because in the ocean its full of crawling things and a good sandbed contains that , and have crawling things at night for you to see.

But most of these people have are prize winning corals with artificial colors and a dead tank. And they think they have a great system..... lol

That was one of my exchange with him as we where setting up the venue for the next day event in Ottawa.

Any how these are my addition to my little world.

Last edited:

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad everything made it. just hope you dont have sps with them limpets....

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

95% made it ok , and after acclimatation 90 % in the tank. , much better than expected.

Fuzzy chiton being probed by a seahorse lol.

085.jpg

Limpets, they come in these shells for supports

096.jpg

Vibex and perri winkles

090.jpg

Big vibex on the run

082.jpg

Big zig zag perri wingkle made it out of the shell on the left of a giangantic fromia seastar

102.jpg

Adding diversity to my tank. I met Albert Thiel at the 60th anniversary of are club in Ottawa and had a few conversation with him this is one of the conversation.

I like diversity and from the mouth of Albert Thiel ; too many tanks are devoided of it, its hermiths and snails and corals , and most of the little guys are forgoten .

People are so obsessed with their parameters, low nutrients and cleaning their tank, that they remove everything from the bottom, including the living creatures from their sandbed who help in the natural cleaning of the tank itself.

He said to me , he ask's people at night what do you see on your sandbed? And most say nothing. And that's sad because in the ocean its full of crawling things and a good sandbed contains that , and have crawling things at night for you to see.

But most of these people have are prize winning corals with artificial colors and a dead tank. And they think they have a great system..... lol

That was one of my exchange with him as we where setting up the venue for the next day event in Ottawa.

Any how these are my addition to my little world.

I am glad that everything made it, but dang man, no need to bash on people that like to keep their tanks different than yours! Some like crabs, some don't, just like soft coral tanks, nem tanks, fish only tanks, SPS only tanks - they are all cool.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"People are so obsessed with their parameters, low nutrients and cleaning their tank, that they remove everything from the bottom, including the living creatures from their sandbed who help in the natural cleaning of the tank itself.

He said to me , he ask's people at night what do you see on your sandbed? And most say nothing. And that's sad because in the ocean its full of crawling things and a good sandbed contains that , and have crawling things at night for you to see."

let me guess he also told you not to dip coral? (it kills these critters you want to add)
did he also tell you you should replace 1/3 of your sandbed about every year or so?... you see there is this stuff called hydrogen sulfide that a sand bed produces, and the only way to remove is manually. (the reason i dont run a dsb anymore)

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"People are so obsessed with their parameters, low nutrients and cleaning their tank, that they remove everything from the bottom, including the living creatures from their sandbed who help in the natural cleaning of the tank itself.

He said to me , he ask's people at night what do you see on your sandbed? And most say nothing. And that's sad because in the ocean its full of crawling things and a good sandbed contains that , and have crawling things at night for you to see."

let me guess he also told you not to dip coral? (it kills these critters you want to add)
did he also tell you you should replace 1/3 of your sandbed about every year or so?... you see there is this stuff called hydrogen sulfide that a sand bed produces, and the only way to remove is manually. (the reason i dont run a dsb anymore)

If your offended by it move on , i just repeated what he told me . I'm just adding stuff to my sandbed which is not deep 2 inch. Do what you want, like i do. It's his opinion; i took his advice thats all. Whats some cheese with the whine....

776s8Nj_zpsd1bf75d7.gif

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that everything made it, but dang man, no need to bash on people that like to keep their tanks different than yours! Some like crabs, some don't, just like soft coral tanks, nem tanks, fish only tanks, SPS only tanks - they are all cool.

I don't see him bashing anyone. I actually liked what he had to say. Matter of fact the critters he shared don't get mentioned much at all (if at all) as part of a CUC.

Therefore it must be a personal issue :)

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CUC stuck in transit for 4 days. I was beyond annoyed. It was rather chilly at night (around 30s) and I know for a fact most packages sit out in a truck overnight before sorting. I assumed the worse when I finally received them. Nonetheless, I opened the package and noticed all of them survived but one hermit.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wasn't bashing anybody i was explaining what was my motivation for going after these very unused inverts that frankly cost me $76 , pricy for the quantity and why and who gave me the idea in the first place. This was the Opinion of an Authority in the field who wrote many books on the hobby. He's got his crittics, but to me he mades sense so i took his advice. Diversity in a tank for me make sense. I never said to anyone not to do or what they should do. I just posted what i was doing and why. You can do your own research on the critters see what they do and decide if you want them or not.

Wow A statement going againts what your doing and some of you are going balistic? Things evolve only if we stay open to new thinking and other ways of doing things otherwise it'll never improve. And what was done before with older technology can now be done with newer technology and a better balance can be achieve between technology and natural ways. Thats my aim. Thats why ièm able to turn OFF my GFO and reli on my refugium for nitrates and phosphates, and now i'm working on my sandbed a shallow one.

75 g Display refugium feeding by gravity my reef tank

569.jpg

My 150 G reef softies , NPS, LPS, Sponges, Gorgonians,

290.jpg

173.jpg

My custom made system

Photo701.jpg

I write big for my iphone friends

Latest pict
809.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a CUC stuck in transit for 4 days. I was beyond annoyed. It was rather chilly at night (around 30s) and I know for a fact most packages sit out in a truck overnight before sorting. I assumed the worse when I finally received them. Nonetheless, I opened the package and noticed all of them survived but one hermit.

Thats was lucky lol , i didn't know most of the critter i was ordering so i knew nothing of their chances si i was releived to see that most had survived, but i'm not ready to do another run too much is left to chances. i whish i was living near the ocean like Paul.B. i think we only have to use is first name everybody know this guy lol. 43 years old tank. The master if you like he can just scoop what ever he needs from the sea. I read is post most of the time. He's pretty much on the bug side too lol.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats was lucky lol , i didn't know most of the critter i was ordering so i knew nothing of their chances si i was releived to see that most had survived, but i'm not ready to do another run too much is left to chances. i whish i was living near the ocean like Paul.B. i think we only have to use is first name everybody know this guy lol. 43 years old tank. The master if you like he can just scoop what ever he needs from the sea. I read is post most of the time. He's pretty much on the bug side too lol.

I enjoy reading his posts as well. I'd like to live closer to him so we could have lunch.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see him bashing anyone. I actually liked what he had to say. Matter of fact the critters he shared don't get mentioned much at all (if at all) as part of a CUC.

Therefore it must be a personal issue :)

You are right, in no way could the statement below be considered bashing someone at all. Saying their coral color is artificial could never imply anything but positive connotations and calling their tank dead is almost certainly a complement. The last part about them thinking they have a "great system.... lol" no way shows sarcasm and is disparaging their systems. I clearly completely misunderstood the statement.

But most of these people have are prize winning corals with artificial colors and a dead tank. And they think they have a great system.....
lol

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy reading his posts as well. I'd like to live closer to him so we could have lunch.

He's a riot , when you read his post you laugh all the way, the come back are so funny. But it so hard to keep up , he's got a hundred things going on at the same time. Very interesting to go and read some of his techniques. He's using gravel for his bed. I'll probably change into that after my sand disapears . He gave me too many good reasons to switch and with a few modifications like he said the ney sayers always say it'll never work and its been working like this for him for 20 years now so i'll try his method.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be in this hobby if it were not for Albert Thiel. He's forgotten more about reef keeping than I may ever know.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the style you are going for. More busy bee's you have to get the work done for you like turning the sand bed freeing hydrogen sulfide over time. The critters eat the detritus. Also leaning more then most people well ever need to know about population control of types of out breaks that may happen and what to do about it, when there dip and quarantine didn't work out.
Please post more of your system~ I like it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back