Asterina predator

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've had an explosion of asterina stars in my 55 and my zoa colonies are thinning out as a result. Those little buggers are ALWAYS on them. Is there a predator for them? I'd get harlequin shrimp but the problem with that is that I've got a Valentini puffer... Who obviously won't eat them... But will probably eat the shrimp knowing my luck...

OP
OP
alliecat

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea maybe he'll eat them that way he likes to be hand fed

John Ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of tweezers and time is your best bet. During water changes You could use a 1/2" hose to suck them off the rocks. In time you will get the upper hand. Good luck!

bullysam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin did the job in my tank.....suggestion...maybe take the puffer out into a different/qt tank while harlequin eradicate the pests....could take about a week......just a suggestion for you

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check your disappearing colonies at night with a flash light. Look for zoa eating nudi. Some think astrinas will eat coral, or that there's different kinds of Asturinas & some do some dont. I would just look else where first.

swseipel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asteria starfish

I am starting to get them as well but they seem to eat my coraline algae. I read their are different types....eat different stuff.....zoas, algae

Oakland Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 100's of those little buggers in my 140 gal mixed reef. Never touched my zoas but i suspected they me eating the coraline so I got one harlequin shrimp and they were all gone in a month. He also has eaten 2 chocolate chip stars in the that time too. amazing.

3D-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a blue Linckia starfish. It may take a while for him to do the job, but he will get the job done eventually.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to get a blue Linckia starfish. It may take a while for him to do the job, but he will get the job done eventually.

I've heard this before but I'm not so sure. I purchased a blue linkia and had thousands of asterina. Linkia only lasted about 4 months and I never noticed a decline in asterina stars. One halequin took care of them in a few months.

3D-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this before but I'm not so sure. I purchased a blue linkia and had thousands of asterina. Linkia only lasted about 4 months and I never noticed a decline in asterina stars. One halequin took care of them in a few months.
I had the same experience...only it was with a harlequin shrimp. I bought a blue starfish and they all have disappeared. Now I have to look real close to find one.
I can't explain why /what happened with yours,but I have seen mine chowing down on them.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always believed they only eat coraline and never really card about how many I had. From time to time I would manually remove several dozen but I was OK with the lack of coraline. Recently I saw one wrapped around an acro and when moved him there was no tissue in that spot. Picked up a couple harlequin shrimp the next day. That was last Wednesday and I have noticed a huge drop in their number. Interestingly i think i have a male female pair. One has a lot of blue markings and the other doesn't

OP
OP
alliecat

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I do watch at night they are ALWAYS on my zoa colonies that's like the only place they go

OP
OP
alliecat

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend gave me his falco hawkfish last night since he was taking his tank down... Maybe he'll eat them?

OP
OP
alliecat

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... I have a bunch of huge BTAs I wonder if they'll eat the little buggers

OP
OP
alliecat

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally came up with a solution to my problem. I'm going to put a harlequin shrimp in my refugium. That way I can keep tossing asterinas in there and I will never completely run out because the shrimp will be isolated AND the shrimp won't get eaten by my puffer or hawkfish

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back