slug looking creature

Billymetz135

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i just found this slug looking creature in my tank and i was wondering A. what it was and B. if its reef safe?
Thanks for looking.
IMG_0567.jpg

Bombertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a stomatella snail. They are reef safe and do a good job of cleaning algae. So long as you don't have an explosion of babies you'll be fine. If you get a ton showing up you most likely have a nutrient issue.

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want him find a second one and I will pay shipping :)

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a stomatella snail. They are reef safe and do a good job of cleaning algae. So long as you don't have an explosion of babies you'll be fine. If you get a ton showing up you most likely have a nutrient issue.
I have a few of these showing up as well what exactly do mean by nutrient issue?

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphates =nutrient issue
Thanks salty, l what a nutrient issue could be what im not understanding is why these little hitchikers indicate a nutrient issue. all my parameters are in check and they seem to be breeding, one spits eggs into the column and another appears shortly after to fertilize. I am sure my dragonett is feasting on the bebes as I havent seen any new ones and they have been there for a whilppl

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the reason people are saying a nutrient issue is because the population of the snails is based on the amount of nutrients in the water. More nutrients more snails. Just like bristle worms although I have no experience with stomatella snails personally so I don't know how rapidly they reproduce bit that is what he meant by that post.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the reason people are saying a nutrient issue is because the population of the snails is based on the amount of nutrients in the water. More nutrients more snails. Just like bristle worms although I have no experience with stomatella snails personally so I don't know how rapidly they reproduce bit that is what he meant by that post.
Sweet no apologies necessary im still rather New so I appreciate the info just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything, thanks again

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love stomatellas. I got a ball of chaeto that was loaded with a few plus a ton of eggs. I must have 100 between my 4 connected tanks right now. I def don't have a nutrient issue. Phosphates .02 and nitrates < .5 and no visible algae in my tanks. Haven't cleaned the front glass on the dt in at least a week.

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one I thought it was just a snail that left its shell

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their numbers are not directly related to the amount of nutrients such as phosphates and nitrates....although they are herbivores and will eat algae (which I guess indirectly affects their numbers due to algae requiring phosphates and nitrates to grow) I have registered 0 of both since the day my tank was started and I have a good population of them (with no nuisance algae whatsoever). They are good members of your CUC. They seem to come and go in phases. You can gauge how many you have by using a flashlight at night and checking the glass.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched them spawn before they gross me out but good for the tanks so I leave them be if there's not enough food they'll just die off so no worries

Back