Mantis Shrimp: likelihood of a tank break

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed everything Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You feed him to much and he'll take it in his hole and bury it. A tank can get real nasty, really fast. I'm going to find a pic of the tunnel I made for him. Super easy and it will keep them as dark as they need to be, while molting and what not.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pvc4.jpg

pvc2-1.jpg

pvc-1.jpg

"I like my dark cave!"

ciliata6.jpg

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feeding tip and piping is very clever. What diameter is it?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Our Gonodactylus chiragra was about 4". He liked to hide a lot. I wouldn't recommend one of these. They also pack a big whallop and are one of the strongest. He may be awake in the day, but he still won't want to play. They can open the largest turbo snail you can put in there. The is no chance of a CUC

- The Peacock about about 5-6". They may be common, but they are extraordinary. If you wanted a basher, this would be the one. This guy honestly holds everything someone would want in a mantis. Some people don't have the tank size, so they have to get a smaller shrimp, or plan to upgrade or give them away in time. We started "bringing" Christmas to him. We were unwrapping presents across the room and he had his face pressed against the glass so hard. He was honestly very pleased when we brought it all over to him and continued. They love color and sparklies. Ours did not touch turbo snails or urchins.

- We had a couple of the Pseudosquilla ciliata. Loved this one too and they were about 3" each. They're a spearer, if you are looking to keep a CUC. Highly interactive. Awake in the day. Will curiously come see you when you come near, after they get used to you. If you ever have one of these, be sure to put some adult live brine shrimp in there someday. The most entertainment I had in a long time.

You want one that is interactive. You want one that is beautiful (albeit, that's in the eye of the beholder). You want one that's awake in the day. You want one that is hardy. Those are the things to look for.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had mentioned tank size for the O. scyllarus, will a 40b be adequate in size for a single specimen?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all this talk is making me want to start a tank for one.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had mentioned tank size for the O. scyllarus, will a 40b be adequate in size for a single specimen?

It will be beautiful for one. a 40 breeder is about as perfect as it can get. You will get AMAZING tunnels with that much room. Give him lots of rubble and shells to built his kingdom.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be beautiful for one. a 40 breeder is about as perfect as it can get. You will get AMAZING tunnels with that much room. Give him lots of rubble and shells to built his kingdom.

I've got about 40lbs of aragonite and 20lbs of crushed coral. Should I grab another bag of crushed coral?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like plenty. In this pic, you can see how much we had in there. Don't put it all in there. He's going to be moving that stuff around, like a plow in a snowstorm and you may want to add in particular places.

The coralline in this tank always made pictures look so messy.

mantis-1.jpg

Last edited:

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few corals. If he could pick it up, he decorated his own house with it. With the leather he'd be trying to pull it into the cave like a Christmas tree coming through a doorway.

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LL, I've learned SO MUCH MORE in the last two days from your posts than I've learned in the 8 months that I've been attached to Google researching them. Having one is definitely in my future after reading how highly you speak of them.

Thanks for sharing. (And don't stop, lol)

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416805654.864575.jpg
here's the build so far. Need to buy some filter media before I fill it this week.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back