Mantis Shrimp: likelihood of a tank break

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it went over his cave opening and close surroundings, he'll give a smack or 10. He wouldn't be interested in eating it, IMO.

clam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep live food in my tank at all times, mainly emerald crabs and snails, and hermit crabs. That way you can watch them hunt naturally, my g. Ternatensus lives in my reef tank, and is very well behaved

clam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for anyone keeping a peacock mantis, i wouldnt use anything brighter than t5s because bright light causes them to develop shell rot, however g. Ternatensus like mine can handle any light as they live in hard corals in the wild

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for anyone keeping a peacock mantis, i wouldnt use anything brighter than t5s because bright light causes them to develop shell rot, however g. Ternatensus like mine can handle any light as they live in hard corals in the wild

Using a single 6w 50/50 10,000K/Actinic CFL. Enough light to illuminate the tank for easy viewing but not enough like to really do anything else

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i first started keeping reefs, I had one of these hitchhike in on some live rock I bought in bulk from a guy. I didn't realize it was in there, until I heard him banging on one of my mexican turbos. It was like this loud Clack, Clack, Clack noise... IT was surreal... I didn't know what it was at first. I tried to keep him, but he was like a bulldozer in my tank. Peacocks are beautiful... Active, and have tons of personality. I eventually trapped him in a piece of pvc and took him to my local LFS, and they gave me store credit, I replaced him with a flame angel I think.

If you know what you are getting into, then they are super neat.

As for breaking tank glass, mine never actually hit the glass that I know of, but he did smash my turbo in short order. However, I highly doubt it would break the glass.

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no problem, they are beautiful creatures, but he kept trashing my frags, so mine had to go.

The home they will build is wicked though, I recently bought a snowflake eel, and he has taken up residence there.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey no problem, they are beautiful creatures, but he kept trashing my frags, so mine had to go.

The home they will build is wicked though, I recently bought a snowflake eel, and he has taken up residence there.
I hope the mantis made some equity money on the resale.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How important is flow in this tank? I have a 600gph koralia evo and a filter pushing 370gph and my sand is flying every which way. Can I pull the koralia or will that result in a tank that is far too stagnant?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sand do you have in there? Sugar fine you're going to have trouble keeping it pinned down, while providing adequate flow. If it's heavier sand, ya.... the flow is too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the standard CaribSea Aragalive sand. I'm really sure how fine it is.

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What location and direction do you have it pointed ? Perhaps putting it lower in the tank and pointing toward the surface would help ?

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it about 2" under the waterline on the far wall pointed straight ahead. I'll try adjusting it tonight

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I repositioned the powerhead as Treemanone suggested and the tank cleared right up

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it even possible to distinguish gender? I've never even heard mention of breeding

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it even possible to distinguish gender? I've never even heard mention of breeding

Very possible to determine male/female and easy to do in larger stomatopods. If you look underneath the animal near the last pair of walking legs, males will have 2 "sticks", females will not.

Some can breed in captivity but the larvae are impossible to raise since they are cannibalistic.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back