Mantis Shrimp: likelihood of a tank break

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Mantis Shrimp really so aggressive that they will actively break an aquarium or is it more a matter of testing the limits of a tank that's too small or be provoked by the owner?

I have an empty all glass 40b that is like to house a mantis in and I don't want to upgrade to acrylic. Am I asking for trouble or, given proper husbandry and care, is it unlikely that the mantis will attempt a violent escape?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think them breaking the glass is more of a myth, I have never first hand met someone who has experienced this. Also there are two different types of mantris clubs (have a club like claw that they use to smash/punch things with) and spears (have a lance like arm that they spear things with), if you get a spear, there is no way they can break the glass.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Shep. I should have specified that I'd want to get a peacock mantis which is a club

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a piece of acrylic on the bottom of your tank, under the gravel. They really aren't ever going to smack the sides, but may pummel the bottom trying to make his home. He doesn't know that's not rock and if he wants his tunnel to go down, he'll give it a go.

Do I think it's an actually risk anyway? No. I don't bother trying to safeguard it.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really great advice and makes total sense that the bottom would be at the great risk.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Peacock, if you can. He was by far the most interactive of all I've had. At one point, we had 4 mantis..... mantis'...... manti LOL. What is the plural for mantis! I have no idea how we kept all those tanks going. :)

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too can attest I've only "heard" it's possible. Never run into anyone that claim it's physically happened to them. I have read that they (like anything else) have different personalities and can be taught to take food peacefully. Whether it's something I would try is another subject. Well then again, I've done crazier things. I do agree with the above poster an acrylic sheet could be a good safety blanket but there's still no guarantee. I'm not sure but think I've read they are best as species only tanks.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too can attest I've only "heard" it's possible. Never run into anyone that claim it's physically happened to them. I have read that they (like anything else) have different personalities and can be taught to take food peacefully. Whether it's something I would try is another subject. Well then again, I've done crazier things. I do agree with the above poster an acrylic sheet could be a good safety blanket but there's still no guarantee. I'm not sure but think I've read they are best as species only tanks.
They really should be kept alone, they are extremely good hunters and will kill anything small enough in your tank.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this will be a species only tank. I have other tanks running so I won't even be tempted to add to this one.

Lionfish Lair, may I pick your brain a quick second, as far as feeding is concerned, did you feed live foods or train onto frozen?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave them primarily frozen. The live food was kind of for my enjoyment.... that sounds so cruel :-/ I would also stuff the frozen into empty shells for them to beat out.

I gave a damsel to a spearer before.... never again.... never. I keep mostly preds, so feeding live foods is common..... this was awful.

treemanone2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really should be kept alone, they are extremely good hunters and will kill anything small enough in your tank.

Thanks for clarifying as I thought that was what I read. I've been dabbling in a little bit of research as I've decided one may need to be on my bucket list lol. I did manage to find a YouTube video and let's see if I can attach it.

http://youtu.be/rAVSjpTrpSg

Obviously this guys done this before and demonstrates just another example of the over 400 varieties that exist out there. I live on the east coast right by the water and have heard rumors they can be found in areas local to me but have never come across them. Would love for a hitchhiker one day and fortunate enough to have a few extra tanks around just in case.

Sorry op, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave them primarily frozen. The live food was kind of for my enjoyment.... that sounds so cruel :-/ I would also stuff the frozen into empty shells for them to beat out.

I gave a damsel to a spearer before.... never again.... never. I keep mostly preds, so feeding live foods is common..... this was awful.
Was it brutal and bloody?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the caption would read......

What do you mean my eyes are bigger than my gut!!?!

ciliata4.jpg

Mark426

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Mantis Shrimp really so aggressive that they will actively break an aquarium or is it more a matter of testing the limits of a tank that's too small or be provoked by the owner?

I have an empty all glass 40b that is like to house a mantis in and I don't want to upgrade to acrylic. Am I asking for trouble or, given proper husbandry and care, is it unlikely that the mantis will attempt a violent escape?

Risk is near ZERO

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above posts. It's possible but not likely. Only a few stomatopods are even capable of breaking glass to begin with. They can also control their strikes and don't hit with full force all the time. They will hit the glass hard enough to make you think the glass is breaking though!

@Lionfish Lair That's a great pic!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just kept stabbing and stabbing.... too violent to last as long as it did. Blah!
Yikes, I knew they were pretty brutal but that would be over the top.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost him to shell rot. He really enlightened me as to why rot is so brutal and deadly. I did not throw him away, but let him decay and kept the shell. The rot was amazing..... and then my dog ate it after I got some pictures.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back