aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

This guy has managed to make many of my fish disappear in the night. Not a fun tank occupant, but he is awesome to watch move around the tank. :)

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to get the pics to rotate

Zoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large green brittle star and he caught and ate my favorite mandarin fish. He got removed from tank and my heart is still broken!

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really are pests. But they are pretty neat too. As much as I hate to lose fish it is neat to watch him get in position under an arch and wait for someone to use him as shelter.

I actually had no idea that's what he was doingn until a few weeks ago when I added and promptly "lost" three new fish in a week. Now I feel like a ******* for not knowing that's where the disappearing fish were going.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought brittle stars were pretty safe in terms of keeping them in a reef tank??

Zoey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine used to arch up and hunt aswell, But didnt think it would ever take out a fish! He is very happy in his new home now anyway!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought brittle stars were pretty safe in terms of keeping them in a reef tank??

Some are fine. I have the good (smaller) kind in my tank. These are the really big green brittle stars that eat fish and get huge. Luckily my LFS sells these and filled me in before letting pick out my star. They took a big one out for me to look at though.... pretty cool guys, even if they will eat your fish.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have banned my albino to the sump as well. Never had any issues just got tire of him moving frags off the rack.

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That albino is pretty awesome!! It's like a little acrobat in your sump it looks like

And yeah, mine is a pain in the butt with knocking over corals as well

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that species has the nick name "green death"-one of the few that are active predators of sleeping fish-

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do, I just wish I would've known that when I bought the darn thing. I've had him for 5 years and he's only recently decided it's time to go fishing. Could've saved the lives of many cool fish tho had I known about this.

fungia_fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just sleeping fish. They'll twist their legs to trap a fish that goes under them for shelter even awake. I had one years ago in my first tank and watched it take out a damsel this way.

Mds4751

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have 3 in our 150 gl tank and have never lost a fish, maybe try target feeding some shrimp and krill when you feed the tank. He should't hunt if he is full.

osras1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle starfish live by smell, they dont have a brain. So they dont "hunt" . The reason they are put in a CUC is because they eat dead or dying fish where the deteriorating fish give off a smell. Same as other dead things and fish excrement in your tank. Green brittle starfish are known to kill live fish, Maybe they're a different species.

Big Wave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine ate some chromis. I didn't really mind until I watched him tear off hunks of cespitularia and try to eat it. He was gone after that.

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after having this guy in my tank for 5-6 years and losing many fish and shrimp to him, I finally pulled the trigger and brought him to my lfs and traded him in for a lawnmower blenny. Coincidently the blenny is one of the fish that has been taken out by him at least twice over the years as well as many shrimp, chromis, wrasse, and psuedochromis. I'm definitely gonna miss watching him crawl out of the rock work at feeding time, but I think my decision was for the best. :)

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the black brittle stars I have had 2 in my tanks for years they never harm fish and do a great job cleaning

randyplank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my spotted mandarin dragonette to this critter. He's living in the sump now.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back