Peppermint shrimp eating acan?

rawlins06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acan was gorgeous and growing well. Now its almost dead. I thought it was the new salt I got but after some big water changes its still getting worse and all my crabs and snails seem perfectly happy. I saw on a Facebook page just now that some people have trouble with their shrimp eating everything and anything. Anyone have any experience with this? And anyone want my peppermint shrimp?

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimps will pull any food out that they can from the acans when you feed the tank. This agitates the acans and they can end up receding. My cleaner shrimp did the same thing.

Angelmom2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had similar problems with our peppermint shrimp. They stole & ate a ricordia , then killed the acan, then the pistol shrimp ate 2 of the peppermints! The third peppermint attacked our frogspawn, so we took it out and brought it to the LFS. The frogspawn is still trying to recover.

Last edited:

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp and crabs are opportunistic feeders...if they do not have enough to eat in your tank, they will eat anything that is easy/available. Eat or starve....they will eat just as anything would

OP
OP
R

rawlins06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guy coming to get it today. Hopefully he can tell me if any of my acan will make it. At least I have a nano that's fairly new so I only had one acan frag in it so far.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are scavengers, ya gotta throw them something to eat from time to time to keep them from eating up your tank.

OP
OP
R

rawlins06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the shrimp rehomed this morning. My Ric was looking better this evening. Hopefully my acan can pull through and make a come back.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peps are the devil. But I also know that they get confused for camel shrimp a lot, and those are actually worse at picking on coral.

OP
OP
R

rawlins06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy took the shrimp was the same guy who gave me the first two frags I got for free and he gave me another frag today. Not to bad a deal lol

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back