Pistol Shrimp released larvae -help

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I just moved to Okinawa, Japan from Ohio for grad school. Anyway, we have several research tanks here with wild collected Zoas etc. one of the tanks is a 20 liter (5.5g) and has two wild caught pistol shrimp. I'm in charge of the tanks and the other day I noticed that one of them was carrying eggs. Well this morning or late last night she released the larvae. I turned the pumps off and a majority look alive (20). Hanging out by the light. We have the ability to put them in a low flow tank.

I was wondering if I should try raising them? The aquarium industry isn't so big here. Lots of military dudes on base have tanks but that's about it other than research tanks. I live a few Km from the ocean and would probably be able to go out with a net and collect pods etc for them to eat.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasnt able to get any pictures. my iphone wouldnt focus on them because they are so small. The larvae that were released were just the tip of the iceberg. I think all in all about 100 were released. I decided to keep them in the main tank and see if any would survive. I havent seen any since, but the female is carrying eggs again. If i get break from research I may try to raise them.

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U won't be able to get them to survive this time. Make a note of when she has more eggs and when she releases them next time so you'll be more prepared. You'll know how long it takes to incubate and release them. That way you can catch her and move her to a small circular tank (vase will do) where she can release safely and then she can be moved back to regular tank. I have raised sexy shrimp before this is the method I used. I'm assuming they will be similar to raise. You can read more about how to feed babies on my thread I made about raising them. Just know it is alot of work! Very time consuming.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back