Loose Feather duster

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feather duster that was doing good then I rearranged my tank a little. I notice it floating in the water and now I'm not seeing it. Would they release themselves from their tube if they are not in a happy place? Could It still be alive somewhere?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes when stressed out the will leave the home they made and in a week build a new one. Also they can loose the crown and will grow a new one

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what you saw floating was the crown, that is the feeding apparatus of the worm which lives in the tube, they will loose it if stressed and eventually grow a new one, but they will also drop it if dying. hopefully youll see him pop back up somewhere.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Where is a good place for it if I was to move the tube. .. light, current.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally like to bury the tube either in sand or n rockwork. they are solely filter feeders so they need a place with good flow but not too much flow that it folds the crown, and ive found for long term life they should be spot feed directly with a filter feeding type of food.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine it pretty high flow for the last few years. I have even noticed a couple babies that have popped up in the tank as well as the sump. The ones in the sump are on the glass and have debated on scraping them off placing them in the main display. I do feed reef roids and some other micro filter foods when I remember them.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I scraped mine off the glass and placed him in the display he is doing great and already attached to a coral and rock.

OP
OP
dib

dib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
The crown grew back and looks great.
Question tho.....
Does the tube part have to be buried in the sand? I keep burying it but it keeps coming out....does it really matter?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have no sand in my tank. They will move sometimes if stressed out. Mine attached to the side of some sps.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back