Vermetid snails or something else releasing filaments/webs?

thefrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank was set up about a month back I've noticed some filaments being released into my water column from my live rock. I didn't think much of it but since I recently started adding livestock it's been bugging me. I did some research and what I see looks like Vermetid webs hanging off the live rock during the day. These 'webs' or 'strings' get released into the water column and drift around and break up.

I don't have a picture unfortunately, but as I said it looks like Vermetid webs. I've checked the rocks and I haven't found any long tubes on the rocks or seen anything that looks like a Vermetid so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas what this could be?

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid Snails do not release the webbing. It is used to filter feed from the water column. Sounds more like something is spawning or pooping.

Thanks, it's quite possibly more than one type of organism as I've seen strands in the water column collecting food and I've seen something similar being released into the water.

OP
OP
thefrog

thefrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rearranged the rock work in my tank and in the process found and removed two vermetid snail that were casting webs (I removed the portions of rock they were in). This afternoon I saw something being released into the water again. I don't know what it is but I know were to look at least. I'll post if I find anything.

Back