Strange critter in my CUC order

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a strange critter today In my clean up crew order. I have never seen anything like it before and couldn't find an Id on it. Any help would be great. :) it's a centipede looking thing with antenna on its head, and it seems to have made a home in the bag out of debris and broken crushed coral that was in there with it. Below is a pic
image.jpg

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic is not clear enough. Get a better one in a cup or something. Ill find him. Love researching critters.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also where did it come from? And description. Length, legs, texture, color. Anything

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks so much!! I got it in an order of snails from a vendor. I also emailed them and don't want to name their name as it's not really their fault at all, hitchhikers happen. :).

OP
OP
A

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
sorry these pics are the best I can do with my phone. But it seems to be about an inch or two long, and seems to have 10 legs.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you don't have to name them. Personally I love hitchhikers. It would be good if you could find out where they get their stuff from tho regionally. As a lot of critters look alike and where they come from can make the difference

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is some type of isopod hard to tell from pic which one it could be could be hard even with clear pic as there are hundreds upon thousand of different species of them, that being said some are herbivore and some are predators and feed on corals and other various other ocean dwelling creatures I would not put it in my aquarium all that being said hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you sure it is an isopod? I thought so at first. But after looking at many many pictures, the vertical stripes and short fat and tena are very uncharacteristic. Its hard right now because I'm at work lol. But I will find it

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it has five legs on each side, and it's a fast little bugger too
isopods generally have two sets of antenna and eight body segments that are generally horizontal. Can you see body segments. The pics are a bit blury. But it looks like vertical stripes to me. Isopods are also generally white to grey but can be brown which this appears to be. Isopods are also generally wider than they are deep. This appears to have the shape of a catapillar. I only see one set of antenae instead of two an isopod would have. The only thing that matchs is 5 sets of legs. Really tough one. I'm excited. Lol I will get it.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it out! I googled brown isopod and there is a pic with a guys hand holding what appears to be that same one. It is an isopod. Sry for the doubt kacrocorals. Just a blurry pic. I'm not sure what kind but I would not put it in unless I was.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the saying goes, when in doubt, throw it out.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it out! I googled brown isopod and there is a pic with a guys hand holding what appears to be that same one. It is an isopod. Sry for the doubt kacrocorals. Just a blurry pic. I'm not sure what kind but I would not put it in unless I was.
lol not a problem were all forever learning :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back