Trying to breed berghia nudibranchs.

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had luck breeding berghia nudi's? I have two, got lucky with some liverock. I need to know about how often they eat and how much. By my calculations every day one anemone is eaten by two nudi's or a half an anemone each everyday. Can anyone tell if that is correct? I need lots of aptasia if it is true.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most nudibranchs don't live to be a year old. You don't have to do anything special to breed nudibranch. Their breeding habits put rabbits to shame. Only thing required is a food source. After the food source runs out the nudibranch will die within a couple of weeks. Now, the question is: are you going to raise aiptasia on steroids in a separate tank to feed your nudibranchs? Been there, I traded rocks from the aiptasia tank with rocks in display tank. To me an aiptasia tank is not a pretty thing.

OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just see green lol and want to help out other people that were in my place last year. I probably had 60 or 70 aiptasia in my old tank and i lost intrest. If all i need is another tank just for aiptasia then so be it. Thanks for the info. I have both nudi's in a seperator in my tank now with the only aiptasia left. Hope i can find some more food.

Attachments

• 1425056546026.jpg
    1425056546026.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 412

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was out of town for work my son stayed in my house and took care of my tanks. After researching on line he thought that he had a rare, very poisonous, long tentacle anemone of some kind from Australia. Well, he was feeding this thing half pieces of shrimp every day. When I got back he proudly showed me the over four inch long aiptasia and the thousand babies it had produced. arghh
My son was also seeing green.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikienhecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i lucked up and found some more aiptasia. Lfs had some in with the cheato. The guy at the store laughed at me when i asked for aiptasia. I think im going to have enough to get started. A friend is sending some in the mail, i hope they make it. I know they are pretty resilient.

Attachments

• 1425267394593.jpg
    1425267394593.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 367

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digging through some old threads...how did this work out for you?

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how your breeding project went? I have two nudis that made a ton of babies and wiped out over 55lbs of live rock that had the healthiest fields of aptaisa ever all over them (I am talking so thick that you could no longer see rock only brown aptasia waving) They did this all in less then three weeks once the babies hatched. The rocks were from a tank take over and I wanted to clean them to sell and now I am scrambling to get more aptaisa to feed my herd lol. I have started a small pico tank to try and grow more aptaisa and I am going to be transferring the big breeders over to a smaller tank to make keeping track of them easier in the future. I have also set up several sales and trades to try and get some of them moved out of the tank. I love these little guys they look like little hedgehogs creeping around in the tank. However seeing how fast they eat I am starting to think these guys are so fast that I will go broke or crazy trying to keep them fed.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how your breeding project went? I have two nudis that made a ton of babies and wiped out over 55lbs of live rock that had the healthiest fields of aptaisa ever all over them (I am talking so thick that you could no longer see rock only brown aptasia waving) They did this all in less then three weeks once the babies hatched. The rocks were from a tank take over and I wanted to clean them to sell and now I am scrambling to get more aptaisa to feed my herd lol. I have started a small pico tank to try and grow more aptaisa and I am going to be transferring the big breeders over to a smaller tank to make keeping track of them easier in the future. I have also set up several sales and trades to try and get some of them moved out of the tank. I love these little guys they look like little hedgehogs creeping around in the tank. However seeing how fast they eat I am starting to think these guys are so fast that I will go broke or crazy trying to keep them fed.
Did you had a chance to read my article on aiptasia propagation?

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you had a chance to read my article on aiptasia propagation?

I did and I am definitely going to try that way, thank you! I have been doing a ton of research on this and I am just trying to decide if this venture is worth it.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did and I am definitely going to try that way, thank you! I have been doing a ton of research on this and I am just trying to decide if this venture is worth it.

it’s definitely worth it as long as you keep on moving the berghias wend they reach adulthood.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back