Do you QT your inverts ??

AquaCox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to add a CUC and cleaner shrimp to my new tank but not sure if I should QT them or not. I am mainly worried about Ich and although the chance may be small there still is a chance that new inverts could introduce it to your system. Maybe the best thing would be to purchase inverts from a place that does not keep fish in their invert system so the chances would be extremely low. Unfortunately my LFS does put a few fish in their inverts tanks, I wonder if LA has fish in there invert system?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything gets put into a separate tank, QT, hospital tank, observation tank, whatever you want to call it. Here's a few examples of why. I set up a new tank that I treated like a surgery room. No cross contamination, so on. It was good to go for quite a while. I put a turbo snail in it, even made a comment to my wife, I shouldn't do this. Well, aiptasia came with it. I had a Crocea Clam in an observation tank for two weeks and put it in the DT a week later I find a 1/4" shed from a gorilla crab. Same thing with corals, in OT for a couple weeks then an invasive algae appears on the plug.
Nothing goes into my DT without being observed for at least three weeks in another tank. Bad algae is very common on the shells of CUC's. With Cleaner Shrimp I would make sure they are acclimated over however long it takes then put them in the DT, I wouldn't worry about them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back