they do steal food from Corals but we enjoy having them- just sharing.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
s1.jpg
s2.jpg

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have both also. Here's a tip: feed each on a good sized krill or prawn and it will keep them busy while you feed your corals/anemones. I once watched my Striped pull a bunch of mysis/brine out of a Duncan head before. From then on I decided they get their own meals.

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 3 cleaners, instead of cleaning the fish or scavenging the floor and getting the un eaten food, they insisted on just stealing it from my nems.
Plenty of food on the ground and they wouldnt touch it. Also my fish would stop by them all the time and they ignored my fish...
bunch of butt holes.....

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to feed one side of the tank then I feed my Corals and they do still take the food :mad2: but I will try your method of feeding.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had 3 cleaners, instead of cleaning the fish or scavenging the floor and getting the un eaten food, they insisted on just stealing it from my nems.
Plenty of food on the ground and they wouldnt touch it. Also my fish would stop by them all the time and they ignored my fish...
bunch of butt holes.....
they want challenge from the Nem.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree......I chase my cleaner away with a long stick for about 30 minutes after feeding my coral. He immediately knows exactly what coral I fed, regardless of how far away he was when I spot fed. Drives me crazy lol.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my shrimp until he's stuffed and that keeps him from looting my corals

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried different ways too to and dropping first a algae wafers works! Keep them busy then I spot
Feed corals.

Last edited:

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny, I had a cleaner shrimp before that was not that aggressive. He would just eat pellets off the sand. He sadly got taken down by a nassarius snail after a molt.

So I read this post 2 days ago, got a new cleaner shrimp, and he ravaged all of my corals today when I fed some brine shrimp. Like, picked them clean. My toadstool leather shriveled up faster than I've ever seen it do before.

He then proceeded to walk upside down in the surface like Jesus looking for still floating bits of food. He is crazy compared to my first one. Guess I will have to keep him busy with something while I feed everything else.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes same here before, once feeding comes Cleaners be like All Mine, move away. Corals are folding away when Cleaners touch/walk at them.

kloudie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got rid of torch coral cuz of cleaner shrimp caused one of the heads to die.... I should of got rid of the shrimp... but I was still at my stage where I paniced instantly when something seemed wrong with the tank. This stage lasts forever haha. I don't freak out so much anymore though, just troubleshoot.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got 2 orange Shrooms that were recently placed in the Tank and was taken down by Skunk cleaners. My guess that they will go for Coral/s that is not doing good/un-healthy. I cannot let go of the Cleaners, I really like them- so active and their appearance. If I can get another type of Shrimp maybe a Coral banded I will go for it, maybe when I upgrade for a bigger tank.

ryleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding them large pieces of krill definitely helps. It keeps him busy and all my corals and fish can eat. If I don't target feed him he goes into Jesus walk mode and steals pellets from the clowns. Crazy how different his temperament is. I love watching him though.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are times that I think that I should make a tank for just shrimps. I really like them- great cleaners and active. We just have to keep our guard up and have some various techniques with the Cleaners.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back