Emerald/mithrax babies showing up?

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My discovery of crabs seems to be never ending. So, I have a few crabs in my system, most of which are in the sump. The three in my DT (that I know of) are a porcelain, a red mithrax, and an emerald. Now, I am finding a few (2 or 3 so far) babies that appear to be mithrax crabs. I haven't gotten any new liverock, so that rules out them being a hitchhiker because they are tiny, less than 1/4" from toe to toe. My tank has been fishless for a few weeks, maybe a month or a little more. They appear to be mithrax, with round claws and furry bodies (smooth claws like my ruby and emerald.) Would the ruby and emerald breed? I can't get pictures because they are tiny and won't leave their home rock which is supporting quite a bit. They run when they see the tongs to lol. My tank has been without the mandarin, so copepods and amphipods are going crazy, and I see probably thousands running along the rock, and more on every single wall and in the sump. So, the babies obviously have plenty of food to eat (pods are anywhere from a pinpoint to about 1/4-1/2 inch giants). Is it possible they are from my 2? Or are they from another hitchhiker I don't know about, even though they seem to be mithrax?

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I read they are hard to raise in an aquarium, so maybe they are just a few of the survivors?

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE. The babies developed porcelain crab claws, so I know they aren't emeralds. They are all filtering the water and still going strong. Will my crabs keep breeding? Or was this just a fluke that these guys survived?

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second one comes out from the cave I am going to get some pics. Unfortunately they haven't developed much color yet so they blend in with the rock work and are impossible to see on camera :( Plus they are so tiny it's hard to see them either way. I have pods living in the rock that are bigger than the babies! But then again my pods are gigantic (big enough to come steal 3 mm NFS pellets from my coral lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two were out tonight, but didn't come out enough for a clear pic. This is the best I could do of one, and probably most people won't be able to make it out. Oh well lol
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427506453.970376.jpg

OP
OP
haleyf1024

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428196599.202368.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428196619.152459.jpg
Got some better pics tonight. The two that I see appear to be fuzzy. The porcelain crabs online are smooth and don't have the fuzz on their bodies like my babies. I know I had a gorilla crab that got sumped, and I have a rogue one now that gets to live in the DT until he does something wrong. But the babies seem to have cupped claws like my emerald and red mithrax. Could they be a criss between any of these 3 species? Or are baby porcelains fuzzy? Do I have more crabs of a completely species that I don't know about that bred? WHAT ARE THESE GUYS?!

Back