Snail infestation....

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys anybody had nassarius snails make babies in your tank? there are about a hundred or more small ones in my tank now. i'll see if I get a pic of the little buggers, they are out when the lights come on in the morning and quickly bury themselves. any ideas how to get rid of them?
I think they are making my zoas upset cause as of recently they don't open up fully......:neutral:

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was actually thinking about using a plastic bottle with the top inverted and put some bait (a piece of fish or something of the sort) and hope they crawl in after it and stay in there till morning... will see how at goes lol. I actually tried pulling them out wen I put on the room light but only got a few out before they go into hiding... i'm thinking that another option might be to sift the sand with something and hope for the best

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you positive they are nass snails? If they have the trunk, are you sure they aren't whelks? And if the don't, could they be ceriths? I only ask because my ceriths breed like rabbits and I have found a few whelk babies in my tank

Tippfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happened to find a baby snail too. Any idea what kind?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430186882.754600.jpg

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'll put up some pics later for sure... took a pic with my crap cellphone last night but its too blurry to make out anything.
I don't have any ceriths in my tank for them to breed though, do ceriths also bury themselves?

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find a good camera to get some pics with and my phone pics are horrible lol. i'll just leave them be and hope for the best :)
thanks again guys

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just recently took a couple of videos showing one of my stomatella snails working really hard :bigsmile:
[video=youtube;CKH5Vp2Zla0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKH5Vp2Zla0[/video]
[video=youtube;bJezDQO2inQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJezDQO2inQ[/video]

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are still closed up but I haven't seen the babies harassing the zoas. I'm having another issue with all of the soft corals in my tank so I'm guessing some sorta water quality issue. I started a thread in the reef chemistry forum about it... sometimes these hiccups make me feel to give up lol...

Bensadork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
patience my man! (or woman) if it was easy everybody would be doing it. That's what makes this hobby so worth it when you can finally get everything figured out after months of frustration and finally everything works itself out and you end up with your dream tank. I'm still in the process of cycling my tank so you can imagine im biting my nails waiting to get some real photo-worthy things in my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back