HELP PLZ !! With a sick Starfish !!

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Choc. chip starfish for just over 3 months now and he has been doing great i thought... This morning i woke up and noticed that where two of his arms meet is almost like it's "rotting"... The area im worried about is where his top right arm and bottom right arm meet, the area is whitish in color and really does not look good. PLZ help me find out what's wrong and how to fix it ! Also i don't know if this could be of any use but he sometimes goes up to the surface of the water and lets his arms go out of the water into the air ?!?
Water parameters are
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate= 0 ppm - 5ppm never higher than 5ppm

Attachments

• PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 374
  • PICT0036.jpg
    PICT0036.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 401

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have something attacking it... I hope that star isn't in a reef??? There not reef safe and will eat your corals... Most people only by them to feed there harlequin shrimps lol..

OP
OP
S

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not in a reef tank, just a FOWLR and a few other inverts... Someone just told me that these choc chip starfish "molt" and he should be fine. Anyone know if this is true ? I'm just concerned because if he needs treatment i want to go get it right away.

OP
OP
S

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area that is affected is the area between the upper and lower right arms, and it almost looks like a white-ish green bread mold and seems to be affecting his suction cups as well...

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know there are no treatments for starfish when they are sick or wounded. Either he will heal or he will slowly melt away. Once they start to go they usually dont recover. Sorry but I'm guessing he will continue to decline. I would test your nitrates and have your sg checked with a refrac, Ive also noticed MOST stars dont like temps above 78. I wish you luck!

OP
OP
S

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought i would give an update on how the Choc. chip star is doing... It appears that he is healing and I'm almost certain that he did "molt". As I mentioned in an earlier post, someone I know, with a lifetime of experience told me that these specific type of sea stars "molt" and will return to normal after a short amount of time(1-2weeks) This appears true to me as well so I just wanted to get this information out there, to help other invertebrate keepers !

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%

Back