Underwater Jewels: The Ocean’s Most Colorful Slugs

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this cool article here: Underwater Jewels: The Ocean’s Most Colorful Slugs

Nudibranchs_01.jpg

When we think of slugs, most of us picture the small, grey, slimy land variety. But under the surface of the ocean lives a whole other world of colorful, fascinating sea slugs. They’re called nudibranchs, and they come in a stunning array of colors and shapes.

nudibranchs-3.jpg

Nudibranchs are found all over the world, but they’re most prolific in warm, shallow sea water. Their coloration varies widely, from the muted colors of some easy-to-overlook types to the neon, clown-like appearance of others. Likewise, their physical forms are extremely varied. One consistent characteristic is the “tentacles†on the heads which allow nudibranchs to feel, smell and taste.

nudibranchs-1.jpg

There are around a thousand species of nudibranchs, and because of their extremely diverse appearances it’s often not easy for divers to identify the specific types they encounter. Many online forums have sprung up to help divers and underwater photographers identify just what types of nudibranches they’ve managed to spot, as well as to share their finds with the nudibranch enthusiast community.

nudibranchs-2.jpg

nudibranchs-4.jpg

The Ocean’s Most Colorful Slugs"]Read the rest of the article here.[/URL]

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful animals...except when they are eating your zoanthids or montis :)

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!! Never thought I would say a slug is gorgeous!! I change my mind about the pink nano build.. I want them full of these!! ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back