Reef Aquarium Facts #350 Meaty LPS corals fair better if placed in a more shaded/less light area of

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #350

Meaty LPS corals fair better if placed in a more shaded/less light area of the aquarium.

coralpicsMay142013-22_zps112c80b1.jpg

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100 percent! I bought a scolymia from the Lfs and they had it up on a rock toward the top of the tank with high quality LEDs.needless to say it was starting to become transparent. I brought it home and put it on my sand bed under my 48w t5 fixture and it is not only 2x the size it was at the Lfs it is getting much more orange striping and coloring up very nicely!

Also low flow is very important, but it's important to have enough flow to keep some kicked up sand off of it.

Mr. Microscope

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth seems consistent, but colors definitely change under less lighting. Acans can completely, "red-out" under intense light, but can become dull under too little light. Finding the happy medium is tough.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word is "fare," my friend ;)

That said...

This appears to be correct. Many LPS corals come from deeper in the ocean, where there is less light. They are adapted more to consuming food particles than to absorbing light.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every scolymia I have ever seen while diving has been in a crevice or cave and they are usually in groups. That said, I have my scoly under an overhang and it has almost doubled in size and is extremely happy!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my tracys prefer medium. They puff out as normal. Radiata seem to be higher light than Geoffroyi. What of lobo still medium. Both trachy and lobo are higher light than acan and scoly.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm just bumping this because that scoly is super HAWT!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back