Favia dead, dying, half living...

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine gave me this incredible favia that was pink and purple. Key word there is was. Long story short I picked it up and most of the eyes were dead, dead, not coming back just pits on a reef bones. I started treating it with dips, iodine dips cut off all direct light. I noticed have a few eyes that are not dead, a couple even had tentacle feelers out tonight ...My question is, should I cut the coral up and focus on the frags or leave it whole? It seems I should cut it up, if its anything like gardening, the live parts are still trying to spend energy on dead parts...Its the favia that has the round holes not the maze which seems to be harder to recover from traumatic events

OP
OP
RonnieBlack

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Favia before it started dying...

Not even sure these were the original colors ..This is when he had it and it could have been going down hill already

Attachments

• favia1.jpg
    favia1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 234

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful to me! Don't cut it. Give it good steady parameters and light flow and it should bounce back in no time.

OP
OP
RonnieBlack

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edited..

Oh it looks nothing like this now....This is before I got it...I think he kept it too close to his lights and cooked/bleached it...Lots of SPS in that tank and its all fine, this one I fear got too much light and too much current..

Last edited:

GoingPostal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't frag it up yet, probably just stress it out more. Feed the crap out of the heads that are still alive and hope for the best.

OP
OP
RonnieBlack

RonnieBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing just that..Pure high grade phyto and capping it with a bottle, shooting the phyto in from the top..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back