LPS 3" Single Polyp...Lobo?, Scoly?, ???

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this wonderful LPS from a respected on-line vendor as an 'Ultra Lobo':

UltraLobo_031514_zps65faa1ce.jpg

But I have my doubts based on a number of characteristics. The coral is known to have come from Australia, is very florescent, has a wide, squat 2" base skeleton and has attacked and consumed a head of a neighboring Lobophyliia hemprechii.

After looking at photos and threads on the Web, I am leaning towards Scolymia australis.

For those who know these coral types well, thoughts?

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, everyone. It sure is tough properly identifying these. Growth is much slower than my Lobo and I believe that Scollys are known as slow growers. I'll lean towards it being a Scolly...for now.

Maybe one day in the future we'll all have hand-held DNA sampling devices to help with identification.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few a these have shown up in my friends LFS. He hand picked them. They are lobos.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has one mouth it's probably a scoli, if it gets multiple mouths it's a lobo…

Not true. I have an entire clump colony of lobos. All round tightly clumped and all with one mouth. Same can be said for my branching lobos. It depends on the variety of lobo.

lakeviewink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I have an entire clump colony of lobos. All round tightly clumped and all with one mouth. Same can be said for my branching lobos. It depends on the variety of lobo.

So sorry… I must be wrong. It happens often…you are right, it must be a lobo.…or a scoli…

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a Lobophyllia hemprechii since the species, morphs are known to play well together, which didn't happen here...

Could possibly be some other species of Lobo...or a Scoly...

Thanks, again all for your input.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a Lobophyllia hemprechii since the species, morphs are known to play well together, which didn't happen here...

Could possibly be some other species of Lobo...or a Scoly...

Thanks, again all for your input.

Just this week a new lobo i bought. Very bright yellow with orange spots. Did the same thing to a neighbor lobo. I told a friend at a lfs. He never heard of a lobo doing it. But when i got up one morning exactly have the neighboring lobo had that greyish slime look. I knew what happened. I moved the culprit lobo away from any other lobos. It seems the victim lobo may come back. Started seeing flesh regrow and it is eating. Thankfully it left one mouth. I will take pictures of my two lobos tonight and post.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make it angry and take a picture with the tissue retracted? Or take a picture from the side/bottom with the skeleton visible?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is injured of my lobo war.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398519249.103243.jpg

Here is the winner.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398519305.228824.jpg

This lobo also attacked another lobo. I was able to catch it while the web looking stuff was just about to encase the other victim.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Articles I've read always mention that Lobos won't hurt other Lobos. That statement is likely true with L. hempechii. For a long time that's the only one that was available, but with Australia and other areas opening up we are seeing other Lobo species which may not play nice together. On top of that, we are seeing specimens that may be new species (or possibly even hybrids).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back