need chalice help

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my last hope to figure out what's going on that affecting my chalices so I hope someone here has dealt with same issue. w hat is happening they slowly get discoloration then tissues recedes away my parameters are as fallows.
PH 8.0 - 8.2
Alk 8-9
mag 1300-1400
cal 400-450
temp 78-79
As far as my tests zero nitrate and phosphates but I have many other lps and delicate sps that are not affected by this as to part of my issues figuring it out as it seems to be just the chalices and a few of my favias that are being affected but heres some shots to help

so any help or ideas would be great

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there in lower led lighting now they were under 250 halides when this started and had been for years so I decided to move still hasn't changed problem and 8 hours a day photo period

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did a new test 138 but most of my system lights are off and could be lowering it a tad ill check again tomorrow

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have issues when something gets out of normal from what tank was. For me the most common were alk and salinity.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just did a new test 138 but most of my system lights are off and could be lowering it a tad ill check again tomorrow

That's probably just fine if it was over a couple days - that's only 0.5dkh. I am leaning very much toward too much light. The problem going form MH to LED on chalices is that you are going from more dispersed light to very concentrated cones of light. Even if the chalices are far away, with narrower optics it can bleach very easily. I don't know what the optics are on your LED, but when I went to the 90 degree Radion Pro from my T5 I had similar issues (it just didn't progress as far as you). I would move them down and out of completely direct light all together.

If at all possible, borrow a PAR meter and that will tell you for sure. Some chalices accustomed to very low light getting hit with even just 100 PAR can start to bleach (I had a mummy eye in ~50 PAR for 6 months that started to bleach with a jump to only 90 PAR and I had to move it back in the shade).

ryanlotz5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going from MH to LED I would advise adding t5 combo that seemed to do the trick for me my corals grew like never before with the combo and I only added 48w t5 on a 60 gallon cube which isn't very ins tense ! Plus IMO the combo really makes corals pop

Surfside74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having same problem. I have lost a couple of chalices. I have them under radions and some have been in the same spot for over a year when this started. All parameter are in check and other corals are fine. Only seems to be affecting some chalice and not others. Some call it the "fade" but I have not heard what causes it. Anybody help please?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back