Who else is having their acans turn orange

Mike Paletta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time virtually all of my acans have lost their blue and purple colors and have turned various shades of orange and red. They are still very nice looking, just not the hot multi colors of when I purchased them. I have placed them under both LED and T-5 lighting, both tending toward the blue side, and the color shift has occurred under both types of lights. Is anyone else seeing this phenomenon and more importantly is anyone not seeing it? If so what lights are you keeping them under to keep their colors? Also has anyone been able to shift them back by switching them to other lights? Lastly is it the lights or are newly shipped acans just more colorful? Thanks
P.S. The tank parameters are very good and I feed them two to three times per week. They are growing like crazy, just losing blue and green colors.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue.... Seems to be too intense lighting. I moved them to a tank with 1/2 the light and colors started to change back

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had plenty rainbows morph orange/red when I had them under just LED, I got rid of the LED and went to an ATI T5 and the rainbows returned, some took as much as 4-5 months but its worked.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My acans did this also and I moved them down and away from the LEDs where they got mostly T5 lighting. Have yours shrunk up any also? Mine did. Now they are much better and some new heads are popping up.

Bjaeger7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too high lighting like the others have said. Same thing happened to me. Shading them and using mostly blue lights they are looking much better!

OP
OP
Mike Paletta

Mike Paletta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that makes sense. Will move some down and see what happens. They have not shrunk as I feed them often. They are reproducing like crazy so that is not the problem, but losing the blue and purples has driven me nuts. I appreciate the replies.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im over acans. they always seem to lose color and become more dull!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting. Many people have spent hundreds for rainbows only to have too bright lighting turn them into a $20 orange acan frag.

nickdo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie Acan need very low light, I keep it under around 50par or less, kessil blue light and very little white only.

if u use t5, I saw lfs keep it with just 1 ~ 2 ATI blue plus and hang it very high. It is good reference because that lfs stock with big collection of high end acan colony.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back