Help! Acan polyps receding with pink skeleton left behind

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a great looking acan a week ago. I've noticed an area where the polyps are receding and leaving behind a pink skeleton. The rest of the colony looks fine, and other acans in the tank are doing well. It's looking bad so I need some help quick.

I've tried what I have on hand, which was a furan-2 dip and revive dip. It didn't seem to make a difference, looks a bit worse today.

I saw an old thread here about this, but no conclusion. http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic10...dex=5#bm104245

Any ideas? I'm going to try some other antibiotics, but I'm not sure they'll arrive in time. I may have to try and cut out the dying bits. Any experts seen this?

Salinity: 34ppt
Alk: 9
Phos: 0.01
Mg: 1400

IMG_1264.jpg

RalphsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it into a shaded area if you haven't already. Also, make sure it is not in a high flow area. That should help it while it recovers, whether you medicate it or not.

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue. I'm pretty sure the red skeleton is a sign of a bacterial problem. The only thing that helped me was iodine dips.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done two iodine dips, and it looks like this today. If it gets much worse ill have to cut it unfortunately.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 217

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a form of bacterial infection. You need to cut into some healthy tissue and discard any with pink skeleton. You could try a long bath in some maracyn or neomyacin. I did that once and it seemed to help. I did it over night with a power head in a bucket.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back