Feeding Frozen

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This feels like a noob question but, when i feed frozen food, i thaw it out with tank water and mix in some garlic extract.
Is this what the general practice is?
I see people recommending feeding their Corals frozen treats...
Im assuming thawed out and try to feed them direct, no?

SABOB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put frozen in a cup of RODI and let if melt, stir it up and strain.....feed tank what's left in strainer

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually let thaw and then strain the liquid from it and feed. There is no reason to add garlic to the food if your fish are eating normally. Feeding garlic over a long time can cause health issues.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This may be a dumb question, but why strain it. I get a cup of tank water. Thaw it out in the water and use all of it.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. This may be a dumb question, but why strain it. I get a cup of tank water. Thaw it out in the water and use all of it.

Some frozen fish food does contain phosphate's at unwanted levels for a full sps only tank. This varies from brand to brand! I never rinse my frozen food but I also do run a recirculating bio-pellet reactor and I also have a refuge growing macro algae's and I test every other week with a Hana low range checker.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I never thought about that. I feed Reef Frenzy and I guess I just assumed it wouldnt be an issue. Thanks for the knowledge. I may need to start doing that.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of the better quality frozen foods - I believe reef frenzy falls into this category are fine and don't contain excess phosphates so you're probably good without rinsing/straining.

Fieryfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that the smaller pieces that would be strained out, would be the pieces that the coral like Zoa and Palys would eat.

Last edited:

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed most of my LPs opens up to be fed but I don't direct feed. Since I don't direct feed I don't rinse so they or any other filter feeders can grab little something out of the water. My system is over 300 gallons though and I only feed a.couple cubes a day so not any issues with PO4. Also no garlic as stated, it can cause health issues

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back