What's up with my frogspawn?

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this frogspawn for almost 2 months and it never really opens up. I've moved it around the tank twice, to different areas of flow/light with no significant results. I've also dipped it in Revive thinking it would be of benefit, but still nothing… I've see other's frogspawn and they have large tentacle extension where mine is barely a centimeter at most! Thanks!

IMG_2127.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the rest of your corals? What lights do you have? Water chemistry? Fish?

Now considering water is good and no annoyances like fish, mine like a bouncing current that moves the polyp. Mine also love the light so putting it where it can get 150 to 250 par will usually make them happy.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water perimeters are usually the issue. Flow and lighting are also considerable but if it never looked good i would say water.

OP
OP
W

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water checks out fine. no3 2ppm; nh4 0; no2 0; alk 8; ph 8.2. My zoas have all show growth since they've settled in. I have ricordea that seem to be doing fine, very plump. An rbta that is on opposite side of the tank which doesn't bother it. Two sps birds of paradise/nest that have also grown. Most of the coral has been added around the same time, from the same place (friend hooked me up!).

As far as I've observed, my clowns haven't even noticed it. I suppose I can try raising it in the tank to see if that helps. Thanks for the input!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looked that way to be also. But it may have just been the lighting. Sure sign a Euphyllia is not happy is the receding flesh from the out of the skeleton. A happy euphyllia will have skin attached to the outside running down the skeleton. It helps hold them inside.

Ssminnow81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks bleached. When I first switched to
LEDs some of my Euphillia we're unhappy until I lowered the intensity down.

Sasquii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have branching frog spawn..when it gets lazy a water change always seems to bring it back out...I don't do water tests on my tank and it seems to tell me when I need to do one.

sean9_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thick branched frogspawn like that. Unfortunately it stayed like that for about a year and just deteriorated. I had 2 other frogspawns at the time and all sorts of LPS corals that were thriving so it was hard to say what it was. Good luck with yours.

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried target feeding it some chopped mysis, ocean eggs, or pellets? Looks bleached to me and when zooxanthellae numbers are low, a spot feeding does wonders in terms of bouncing them back to health. As far as parameters go, the most important will be alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, phosphate and nitrate. I keep my all around 10, but 8 is fine as long as it is consistent. You may include temperature and specific gravity as well.

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me looks like a smaller younger specimen. .. it is open and inflated...give it some time...if it was closed up, u wood know it...agitate it watch it close up... but even then it takes alot to close em up all the way.... best way to tell, look at it in the middle if the night maybe, and compare to daytime.... euphyllias are pretty hearty... they don't like being shipped tho... another thing, euphyllias are also susceptible to "brown-jelly disease" brown jelly lookin junk at the base... flesh shood be pink or something depending.... if it's brown u got a problem...research.... but if no brown... give it time... it looks fine to me... also it never hurts to feed... they're always hungry.... some torches have shorter tentacles. Good example gold torch with light blue tips, a gorgeous specimen. Mine looked normal when I put it on layaway, I came back a week later to get it and it lost color and tentacles were much longer and I was p.i.s.t. got it home color came back but tentacles are still longer looking like most torches out there... I'm still not happy bout that and will probably buy another when I find it

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a green frogspawn with purple tips (beautiful) very small.. looked like that... a year ago. .. now is the size of a softball... I have a young hammer resembles that... had it for 6 months... I can post a pic later (I'm at work) never once did I ever think something was wrong... just like yours it's inflated... be careful for what u wish for... before u know it it's gonna be huge stinging stuff and fragging them skeletons is ruff man believe me... they grow quick... but 2 months isn't long at all.... don't worry about it

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have a big skeleton rite now tho..
Have u seen the mother colony? Or was this a lfs purchase? If it was in my tank and free from brown jelly.. I woodnt sweat it

Dendrobates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the coral looks receeded since you can clearly see the exposed septa skeletons where the coral used to grow is now being covered in algae. As someone mentioned above, a healthy frogspawn tissue will extended down the skeleton past the stalk.

OP
OP
W

WallEyes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get the chance to see the mother colony in full swing. I was helping a friend move his tank when he fragged off what I now have.

Back