Candy cane question???

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this year in June i got a CC from petco, it had 4 small heads on it. After 4 month no change, do these coral grow fast or NOT. They are getting good flow,lighting, ect. Just havent seen any movement or action out of them??

I have reef radiance pro lum 180 for lighting

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would have seen some change in four months. Are the heads bigger or still the same size? The CC I have grow well; it just depends on what you think is "fast".

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS grows slow, there's a lot of skeleton to grow. If you want things that grow quickly, you are looking at some SPS and zoas. You can usually get some great colors that grow really quick.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i really dont know, id think i would see some feeding going on, a new head. The coral looks the same, some times i can see it close up but thats about it. Its really weird

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one back in May with 3 heads. About two weeks ago the 3rd head finally split so now there are 6 heads. I've got kessil 360's and I place mine almost diretly under it...the light is about 2 1/2 ft above the CC.

Gardy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put new kessil a360ws on the tank and I finally have 2 heads splitting after about 6 months

ramraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 8 head piece of a friend in june it's now 24 head's also I have a branching hammer grows like mad. For me lps grow very fast and I find them best in medium flow and medium light not direct .I use it2040 leds full spectrum

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In y experience they have been the fastest growing coral I have owned, including softies. I started with 2 heads of the neon green variety about 5 years ago. That colony is now 2 softball sized colonies and I have given many frags away. I have them under 250w halides now but the majority of my growth actually happened in a 12g Nanocube with 24w pc bulbs. I have a blue colony which grows fast but not as fast. Most of my growth comes when I feed them heavily, it's almost like you can see new heads splitting the next day somwtimes.

pic from a few nights ago in a rubber made while I await my new tank build.
GOPR1585.jpg

This is to show you the placement under the low watt pc bulbs in the Nanocube cube. Same colony a few months after getting it as 2 heads
1zoaw3t.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my candy cane up on the rock work and its about 15-18' inches from the LEDs. The heads look ok, coral looks good but in 4 months never seen it feed. I spray brine shrimp over top of it; hoping that it will feed one day. I feed my corals about every 2-3 days mysis/brine shrimp. Also all the other corals I can see take in food, duncan,blasto,torch,one head zoa, ricordae mushroom.

ramraider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going feed them try after your lights go out then then feeder tentacles come out

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed tentacles usually come out after lights go out. Do run moon lighting? Thats when i see it on mine

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run moon lights almost all night. My timer on my lights run 23 hrs, and i start morning lights at like 7ish. I dont know if that messing with them

TheReefMasta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed them and they will grow fast. Mine started out as 6 heads and it's now softball size. I feed them regular.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to feed them but they have there tentacles out night or day, i have got up a 3 in the morning and nothing. Spray food on them and i dont see any movement of feeding. I also only feed my corals at night.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to encourage a feeding response ive had good luck with aquavitro fuel added about 30 minutes after your lights go to night mode. you can use a red or blue light to help you see when you feed. ive never feed mine thought directly. but it was slow for the 1st year and a half, after that it has exploded with growth.

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about one new head every two weeks. I've fragged it about two times. Those are smaller colonies of 3 and 10. The main one is close to 18. I started with 3 heads a year ago. They didn't grow at all the first four months. I find that is the case with some corals in my tank. Especially if they were growing under halides previously. Post pictures soon.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well this coral came from petco, they run the weakest leds per gallon. Maybe in the next couple of months they will start growing good. I got them in June. They have 4 heads on it, might just be trying to catch up from the low lighting. i'll post a picture of them once i get to the house. I can tell they are doing good? If the heads are really big; what does that mean?

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually if I spray a little mysis juice or other in the tank the candy canes will extend their polyps in about 5 minutes and then I come back to feed. Works even better when the moon lights are on

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back