that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big Chalice Obsession.

I have 16 Chalices.

Most have been in my Aquarium for 6 Months or Longer and have been doing Great and Growing too.

It started with one of my Miami Hurricane Frags that started to receed after Growing too.

I did not really care because I had two larger pieces of that same Coral but one of those is half receeded now (Skin Pulling Back and White Skeleton Showing).

I just noticed today that the third one is started to show some Skeleton too.

I also noticed 4 Total today receeding.

Why is this going on?

All my other Corals are doing great.

All my Parameters are Spot on too.

So now most of my Chalices are receeding.

The only ones that are not are two Mummy Eyes and my Bubble Gum Monster.

And if I loose those I will be so upset.

What can I do?

Why is this happening?

Reefhunter007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your lighting it sometimes happens if there's too much " or if there are changes in the parameters" I have about 36 different ones and I have had ups and downs ,I've heard of bacteria and stuff like that being the reasons as well!! Dip them and put them in the shade and see if that helps!!!!

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Do you target feed? I had a similar issue when I ran biopellets because I was stripping the water of some nutrient(s) that the coral required. If you're running zero nitrate and phosphate then that could be a possible cause.
I've had the best luck saving chalices that have rtn by covering the receded part with super glue. Cover the entire affected area and just a little over the healthy tissue. This smothers the pathogen and the chalice forms a new rim and grows over the glue. Or you can frag away all diseased tissue.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check the mag level and move the receding ones onto more shade. GL!

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your lighting it sometimes happens if there's too much " or if there are changes in the parameters" I have about 36 different ones and I have had ups and downs ,I've heard of bacteria and stuff like that being the reasons as well!! Dip them and put them in the shade and see if that helps!!!!

I use T5 for Lighting.

Chalices are on the Bottom of the Tank.

What Dip do you recommend as the Best for Chalices?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Do you target feed? I had a similar issue when I ran biopellets because I was stripping the water of some nutrient(s) that the coral required. If you're running zero nitrate and phosphate then that could be a possible cause.
I've had the best luck saving chalices that have rtn by covering the receded part with super glue. Cover the entire affected area and just a little over the healthy tissue. This smothers the pathogen and the chalice forms a new rim and grows over the glue. Or you can frag away all diseased tissue.

I am going to work now so I will test the Parameters when I get back.

The Glue idea is interesting.

I have never heard of that before.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are the Pathogens that you speak of?

I have never heard of them before?

Do they only target Chalices (Like how Montipora Eating Nudibranch's only eat Montipora)?

Or do these Pathogens target any Coral that is Receeding or RTN/STN ing?

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is hartbreaking sometimes I would get a new bucket of salt and get busy with big water changes sometimes water test kits go bad show wrong numbers etc but half the time it turns out the refractometer is bad and the salt level is more like fresh water .. if u got a buddy with a tank that's doing very well compare your test kits with his..

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you last change your bulbs?

When I ran only t5 i used to check my bulbs with a par meter and often times I was changing them out in 6 to 7 months, 9 months was about max for my ati's and the amount of hours I ran them per day.

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 chalices and I have this happen to one specific chalice I've had for 5 years now. Its done this 8 times and each time I've managed to save it before its toast. My params were always in check, no lighting or flow changes. My solution each time has been to dip it in an interceptor bath for 4 hours. Thats it. It stops the recession immediately. I've never figured out why only this chalice receeds, or why interceptor works to stop it.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you last change your bulbs?

When I ran only t5 i used to check my bulbs with a par meter and often times I was changing them out in 6 to 7 months, 9 months was about max for my ati's and the amount of hours I ran them per day.

Bulbs were changed 3 Months Ago.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check magnesium. I've found in the past when my chalices receed, a couple times my mag was too low.

I tested my Magnesium and it is Low 1500

It used to be 1700

Do you think that is it?

Should I Dose Magnesium?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 12 chalices and I have this happen to one specific chalice I've had for 5 years now. Its done this 8 times and each time I've managed to save it before its toast. My params were always in check, no lighting or flow changes. My solution each time has been to dip it in an interceptor bath for 4 hours. Thats it. It stops the recession immediately. I've never figured out why only this chalice receeds, or why interceptor works to stop it.

Were can I buy Interceptor?

I do not see it on BRS or Marine Depot.

stan13ag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost a lot of chalices by freaking out and making rash decisions on a little recession.... If I could do it all over again, I would have done a 50% water change and waited instead of dipping/fragging/other

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your tank? Some chalices like a little more light. If your parameters check out, that could be it. My tank is 32 - 33" deep and chalices will not grow on or beyond half way down.
Also, how heavy do you feed? My Miami can take a little more light.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your alkalinity? Are you dosing anything?

I tested my Magnesium and it is Low 1500

It used to be 1700

Do you think that is it?

Should I Dose Magnesium?

I would not dose for mag now. Your mag is already high. 1500 is about the top of the line and 1700 is too high.

Were can I buy Interceptor?

I do not see it on BRS or Marine Depot.

Interceptor is a prescription medicine for heartworms in dogs. It can only be legally purchased with a prescription from a vet. It's not even produced anymore so it's hard to find. I've never heard of it being used to treat chalices. It's commonly used at an in tank treatment for red bugs on Acros.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is your tank? Some chalices like a little more light. If your parameters check out, that could be it. My tank is 32 - 33" deep and chalices will not grow on or beyond half way down.
Also, how heavy do you feed? My Miami can take a little more light.

It is a 55 Gallon so 21 Inches I believe.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my Water Parameters

Temperature - 78.5
Salinity - 1.026