Fed plate coral. what a hog!

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just fed my plate coral for first time some mysis mixed with reef frenzy. This thing stuffed its mouth with all of it at once! WOW!
2014-08-31 20.20.17.jpg

2014-08-31 20.18.23.jpg

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lucky as I don't have to target feed mine. It catches mysis every day. The next day bit expands so huge .

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i started doing corals i didnt plan on target feeding any of them but i bought a sun coral without reading about it. When i did i realized i have to feed it so I feed a few of them. My Elegance is cool to watch eat, it closes like a venus fly trap. My sun coral you can see it sucking the shrimp in and now the plate is a super hog.
I contain them in cut bottles because I have 3 skunk cleaners that are the worst. They will steal anything they have access too. You have to see them try to squeeze through the hole of the bottle to get in. **** thieves.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very very Careful.

I started Collecting Plate Corals and had 5 total.

Now I have 1.

They Died from OverFeeding as I gave them too much Mysis Once a Week.

Now I do not feed the last one I have Remaining at all.

They cannot process all the food you give them even though they eat it all.

It Rots and gives off Ammonia and they Die From the Inside Out.

So Please be Very Very Careful not to Overfeed them.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I don't target mine at all. It's a just natural catch. Then my cbb steals half. Lol.

I'll keep that all in mind though.

OP
OP
Z06-Hec

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt expect it to swallow it all like that. I will def only feed 1 time a week and feed it much less next time. I was super shocked to see it swallow everything that fell on it.

uperepik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my plates once or twice a week. Scott Fellman from Unique Corals says they actually take there plates out and put them in a deli cup full of concentrated food for about 10 minutes so they eat well. Your not going to kill your plates by feeding them once a week.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my plates once or twice a week. Scott Fellman from Unique Corals says they actually take there plates out and put them in a deli cup full of concentrated food for about 10 minutes so they eat well. Your not going to kill your plates by feeding them once a week.

Well I sure did and I only Fed Mysis Once a Week.

So Yes, it can be done.

Be Careful.

Once I realized what happened it was too late they started Losing Flesh One By One.

Luckily One of my 5 Plates made it (The Cheap Common One you see all the time of course) but I learned my Lesson I will Never Feed Them Again.

I had Awesome Plates too.

I am very very saddened by this and got Hardcore on Plate Collecting because I thought they were Bullet Proof.

Now I know Better.

Last edited:

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my plates twice a week and have for about 7 months. Mysis thawed in a cup with Reef roids. It is very cool watching them pull a Mysis from their rim up to there mouth...

Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of a plate dying from too much food? I feed mine every other day of half cube mysis, and it couldn't be happier..?

Back