growth rate on torch,hammer corals

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my torch coral since mid july and the hammer coral for about 1 month.
Lighing on this 40g breeder is reef radiance pro180. 180w of LED lighting. i have a 30%max white and 50% max blues. I also feed my corals every 2-4 days. Let me know whats everyone views on these two coral growth rate. Thanks:wink:

nitrates-0
nitrite-0
ammonia- 0
phosphate-0
cal-450
mag-1500
alk-8.4
p.h-8.2

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing no one knows the growth rate of torches. Is it because every coral is different/tanks. I have given this torch what i call perfect water lvl's and feeding. Anyone have a torch that just doesnt show signs of growth.??

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to say these are slow growers as they have a huge calcium skeleton they have to build in order to grow new "heads" or split. I may be wrong but thats what I have seen with my euphylias. Also, if it is a single head then it is always going to take longer to start reproducing/splitting.
I do know one reefer who actually gives her hammers and torches away because they grow so fast they are like a weed in her tank, but she does have an immaculate 120 though!

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tend to grow faster as they settle in and get larger. I find for my system it takes about two months of settling in before I see the grow rates I expect

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a bit cautious to buy it without knowing what caused 3/4 of it to die. If you do decide check the remaining head to see if flesh stops at edge of skeleton opening or if it extends down the sides. If stops at opening it is not a happy hammer head.

Unknown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first bought my frogspawn it had 2 heads, 1 died right at the start. A few weeks later it now has 1 large head and 5 new heads. Attached is a pic of it I took about 2 weeks ago.

The smaller heads have grown more since this pic.

Frog.jpg

I feed mine 2x a week and dose cal

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really depends.. my frogspawn grows like a weed, my gold torch grows slow as heck.. some will grow faster than others and they'll grow faster/slower in different tanks and different amounts of feedings/light/flow/etc..

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat like pigs. Frozen mysis and other stuff. All pumps off turkey baster at center it will open up at take it in. Mine puff out like balloons after a good meal. Feed 2x week. Also amino acids before feeding gets them primed up. Of the three common branching euphyllia hammer is probably the hardiest.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is a trick. I had a frogspawn that never ate. It really never grew. All others torch, frogspawn and hammers never had issue with eating. Does it look full with flesh along outside of skeleton? Tentacles long and waving?

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the skeleton look good, coraline algae going on it, and the tentacles are out also. In another post i posted a picture of a worm growing on the side of the torch. I dont know if it would help the coral growth. I think i should cut the worm off and see if it helps?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If on skeleton probably harmless. Also polyp may not even know it is there. Water perimeters in check?

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen my frogspawn feed with tentacles that stretches down to feed on the substrate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back