What the!!!

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed my beautiful flower pot dwindle to almost nothing!! I took it out tonight and notices a work like creature moving around
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410916365.084505.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410916419.253444.jpg

I pulled this work out and it seems to be the only one that was on the flower pot. What is this thing and by me removing it do you think the flower pit will survive?

Thank u
David

KorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bristle worm. How long did you have the flower pot coral for? From my experience and what I've heard, they're not the hardiest corals

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flowerpot corals (goniopora) are difficult to keep unless they are well established in aquaria. That worm is a bristleworm and they are harmless. It was likely on the coral feeding off the necrotic tissue surrounding the skeleton. You may want to try some antibacterial dips to slow that recession as it appears to have a bacterial infection.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned the worm is a bristle worm. It did not cause the gonipora to die off. I have brought gonis back for friends who bought them. They are fickle it took me years to understand how to keep them.

If you decide on getting another goni. Look for an encrusting type. They are hardier. Water perimeter and type of foods they prefer are key to success.

OP
OP
Diazreeflife

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this flower pot for about 7 months and it always looked amazing never had any problems keeping it. What do I use to perform a bacterial dip?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral dip. Mine i think is iodine. It looks like it has been receding for awhile. When it puffs out it is hard to tell it is not healthy. When i first started with goni. I had the same thing looked great for months but slowly died. After several failed attempt i now have some for over 6 years. We learn from failures. Goni is not out of the box an easy coral but it can become easier.

One note if you get another be sure the flesh is not resting on sand bed. What are you feeding it and how often?

Z06-Hec

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried Lugols solution 3 times on 1 of my Goni that had some Brown jelly. basted it very good and circulated water while in the dip. Brown jelly kept coming back.
Finally i did a peroxide dip and that worked. No issues since.
2nd Goni i have had to do a peroxide dip on. Both are still with me.
the 1st one over a year.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many things are possible. That could be one thing. It is receding from bottom not top so not sure it is lighting. Receding from bottom is classic for the reason goni were avoided for years. Anyone who has been in this hobby long enough have had the same issue with goni. I used MH then switched to LED then back to halides. My goni were not effected as other LPS by the switch. Switching flow directions effected them more than lighting. They are big eaters also, several times a week with liguid/powders. Sand bed can cause virus to effect flesh. Once started it works its way up. Dip it keep decent flow. Feed a few times a week it could start regrowing to recover the exposed skeleton.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an led guy, hope others can chime in. I need it simple bulb, wattage, on and off. Do not need one more complication for reef keeping.

Dip it in coral dip if you have one, or peroxide dip as mentioned above. Sure google has mixture recipe on peroxide dip.

Back