Candy Cane Ejected Polyp

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've been nursing this Candy Cane for a few months now, the polyps never really opened, it looked like this around when I first got it (apologies in advance for iPhone pics):

IMG_0126.jpg

Today and this must have just happened one of the polyps "ejected" from the coral - I doubt thats the right terminology but as you'll see its just not there (and it was probably 30 minutes ago):

IMG_0155_2.jpg

And I can see the polyp wedged (for now I suppose) in my rock (this is the worst of the bad pictures):

CandyCanePolyp.jpg

So my question is, is the coral with the intact polyp still viable? Is the "ejected" polyp able to survive? Anyone know why it might do this?

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump in hope that it gets you some answers!

I cannot say because I don't have any experience with candy canes...but I'm going to say that it is not good when this happens. The coral skeleton is typically an important part of the coral and I can't imagine the flesh being able to survive by itself. I could be totally wrong though...

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called polyp bailout. I haven't heard of it with candy canes before, mainly duncans and euphyllia. It happens when the coral is stressed and as a last survival effort in hopes that the detached polyp will settle and form a new colony.
This is just my understanding of it, so that may not be 100% accurate. I've only experienced it with once with a duncan colony and the detached polyps didn't survive :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back