HELP! My corals are dying! Please help!

Janessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two days ago everything was fine. My Duncan had been acting a bit weird but nothing too worrying. Yesterday I noticed some bleaching on my acro and that my war coral had spat out it's food. This morning there was white stuff all over my war coral and my acro looks completely dead. There is also signs of sickness in my lycanstrea and my trumpets and hammer coral are shriveled and refusing to open. I took my water to the LFS to get checked...the parameters are good. There was a temp spike last week -- but I think I would have seen something by now. The guys there say they haven't seen anything like what I have before. Here is a picture of the white stuff on my favia. The flesh on my war coral is almost all gone...after a day. Do you know what is doing this and how do I save my tank?

(I did buy new frags about two weeks ago, and yes, they were all dipped before going in my tank.) However...I am wondering if I have a type of flat worm....?

The first picture was taken around 8:00AM and the second at 7:27PM today.

IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see flat worms... I see algae. Are you using RODI water? Also you said there was a temp spike, how high did it get? If it got past 84 you could have really stressed them...

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you absolutely trust yout LFS water test? How long has tank been running?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen something like that....? does the white stuff blow off if you try?

OP
OP
J

Janessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spike did get to 86 -- but wouldn't I have seen some degeneration before this? It's been about 7 days. The tank is down to 79 now.

I know I can trust the LFS. His readings were the same as mine. I took water in wondering if one of my test kits weren't working properly. Since we both had the same readings I'm not questioning it too much.

Yes, I use RODI water -- the algae has been a battle I've been fighting for about a month. But I'm slowly winning.

As far as removing the white stuff: I tried to use a pipette to blow it off and it won't do more than sway. This war coral is in a high flow area too.

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a temp spike did you check your heater and make sure it did not crack? It looks most likely a toxin is in the tank to make a coral RTN like that

OP
OP
J

Janessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the tank has been up for a year but we did just have to move two months ago. (We kept the sand and rocks wet and used the same water - just transported it in cleaned buckets.) That did stress the tank -- but corals have been thriving and growing for the past couple of weeks and test parameters have been stable except for the temp spike.

FX CharityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since we have a mystery I would recommend a 50% water change today and tomorrow along with a fresh bag of carbon to dilute and remove as much of the stressor as possible.
Check your heater and pumps usually on powerheads the back pops off where the cord is for the powercord. Make sure the epoxy isnt cracked.

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since we have a mystery I would recommend a 50% water change today and tomorrow along with a fresh bag of carbon to dilute and remove as much of the stressor as possible.
Check your heater and pumps usually on powerheads the back pops off where the cord is for the powercord. Make sure the epoxy isnt cracked.

Yep +1

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree, take this kinda advice, thats the same i would do. By the way ive seen that kinda of white stuff before all over a tank when the house had lots of air fresheners and detergents in the ambiance. Have they recently cleaned the house around your tank. Maybe some kind of house cleaner fell in. Run carbon right away!

OP
OP
J

Janessa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the craps and snails are fine.&nbsp;<br><br>This is her husband now. I have noticed, but not sure if it was really mentioned, there are 2 hard corals in there as well that both started bleaching (turning white) out at the same time yesterday and are now completely white.<br><br>Thank you for all your input its been helpful. Doing a 50/50 water change today. Also we did get most of the detrimental stuff tested at a store yesterday and they all came back almost exactly as we were testing them. So I'm at a loss to what could be causing this except from the few things you had mentioned.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no mystery, the temp spike was your cause
Temps above say 82/84 can be really deadly and if you hit 86 that would surely cause issues, bleaching and death of corals
And yes it often takes a week or more to show the effects
The water change is a good idea, check your heater, and Also run some carbon if your not already
Tank should be fine then, but some of the corals affected may not recover even though your tank is back to more stable
Good luck

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%

Back