Anyone ever seen something like this?

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral is actually a hitch hiker from some LR I got. Has anyone ever seen that kind of dangle? It flows back and fourth in the current I should video it lol.

Floppy 2.jpg

Floppy.jpg

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's called asexual reproduction or budding. Basically it's creating another colony! Very healthy nice find!! I think it may be a prism type favia (goniastrea) Though a better pic would help more. Thats just shooting from the hip..lol Whats so cool about it is that it could be a new fine all together :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I figured it was just growing like that because it may have been horizontal in the pet store and is now vertical in my tank.

What's interesting is that the part that is dangling is attached to the very center of the coral.

I have had it for about 8 months. I use to feed it like 7 mysis shrimp a day when I first got it, but it's been probably 2 months since I've actually fed it now.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so. It's funny you can't see them in the pic but it has tons of mouths like 25-30

Last edited:

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe so a favia of some kind. Good luck with it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video of it. Maybe it will help idk

[video=youtube;92G0COgoSjc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92G0COgoSjc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to guess Caribbean rose brain. Manicina aereolata. I may not be exact on the name but looks like a rose brain to me. The skeletons of those are all over the Caribbean beaches and I think they can be found in Florida also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the big question I had hehe was not really what it was. Rather, what is that thing dangling from the center of it? Is it really reproducing, or is it just growing funky?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if there is an actual name for what it's doing but some LPS "drip" polyps to reproduce. Hard to tell if that's what it's doing but I wouldn't worry about it. Looks healthy. If you see bare skeleton then it may have issues.

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks Ritter. It will be pretty sweet if it does have a baby. Hopefully it sticks some where well lol... I guess i'll have to keep watch!

jonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a green trumpet that dripped heads constantly for over a year, and I have a favia thats starting to do it now. I always wrote it off as low clac and slapped myself on the wrist for slacking lol. Though now that my favia is starting to do it I'm not so sure that's the case. My trumpet always dropped what looked like a small albeit healthy head, I'd usually scoop them up and give them to whoever wanted them, because if I didn't they always got lost under rockwork.

TLDR; Yes I've seen it, no I don't think it's bad, yes you should get a baby from it. Lol

OP
OP
mrcoffee2

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a green trumpet that dripped heads constantly for over a year, and I have a favia thats starting to do it now. I always wrote it off as low clac and slapped myself on the wrist for slacking lol. Though now that my favia is starting to do it I'm not so sure that's the case. My trumpet always dropped what looked like a small albeit healthy head, I'd usually scoop them up and give them to whoever wanted them, because if I didn't they always got lost under rockwork.

TLDR; Yes I've seen it, no I don't think it's bad, yes you should get a baby from it. Lol

I am pumped! Its starting to get longer! I wonder when it will drop.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back