Is it possible to have TOO much Euphyllia?

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15266_872670519410691_3657523768343088872_n.jpg

Bicolor Frogspawn on the left (yeah its HUGE) and a hammer on the far right (which is touching the glass until I know how long it will be)

given I care for my 10gallon very well and do regular dosing and water changes (there are no fish, just a flame scallop and some feather dusters), will I be able to keep this long term/ how often/when should I frag off the bicolor frog? (IF it survives because I didnt get to acclimate it as long as I would've liked, only about 20 minutes of dripping)

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice as a lps tank. But is that how everything normally looks, as everything looks pretty closed up. If not I'd really like to see a photo of everything open.

Also thats definitely one of tge larger bi-colors ive seen.

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im going to try and move the rocks once i feed the tank, the guy who had the acans, scoly, and frogspawn hadnt fed them since june so they are starving. today im getting mysis and pods.
here are some close ups:
1roZcnU.png

Hammer pushed against the glass, not fully extended, not sure if it can reach the other coral. my large flame scallop tilted him even more but i will move that when i am more confident that the tank is stable.
RvG9XRw.png

Duncan colony, no extension compared to my single duncan frag.
pt7tUUO.png

Hungry hungry acans. also against the glass until i move them up on the rocks. (soon™)
0h8MtgN.png

Hungry Scolymia (or maybe Parascolymia?)

and yeah, I agree, I went from a few mushrooms and a duncan to LPS dominated quickly. I work in an LFS so I am aware of the dosing and feeding required, but any advice is extremely appreciated

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a bit of hair algae. I accepted this as an obstacle when I took the coral, cleaned off as much as i could during acclimation and placement, but is there anything aside from Hermits(I prefer blue knuckle for corals) and a Sea Hare that will help with this naturally?

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably get rid of some of the hammers.

Only because (at least right now) the don't look too hot. Also, doing so would in theory help with getting the tank stable.

But maybe just let everything settle, did you just set this up?

A couple of hermits and some pyramid top snails will keep the algae down too.

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Well, that escalated quickly."

So after glancing at the tank thread I would say you probably would benefit from some more filtration. You don't have much LR in there and I'm not too familiar with the Tetra filter.

Is it similar to an Aqua Clear 50 or 70? Either way I'd recommend continuing to run carbon and maybe suggest some Purigen.

That should buy you some time until you can upgrade to larger tank/better filtration, and/or frag some of the new corals.

With the current setup that much coral is asking for trouble long term, OMHO.

OP
OP
M

Miracl3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i have fragged the frogspawn and am going to give it to a few friends when they come to orlando. I plan on soon upgrading to an aquaclear and gutting it and making a mini sump in it, along with throwing in the reef octopus nano skimmer. the hammers have perked up a little bit too! I just fed pods and mysis and everythign seemed much happier, the guy who had them before hadnt fed anything for over a month. hopefully i can grab a 20gal soon.

this "free" coral is going to end up costing me quite a bit. but i mean, that frogspawn.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back