Help With Coral Placement

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I know this is probably a basic question, but I need some help. I'm a beginner and recently picked up a couple of frags. They are currently on plugs in the sand bed. I know a lot of people think the plugs are ugly and remove them. If you look at the picture the acan (I think), its starting to droop off the side of the plug. My question is would it be ok to leave it on the plug? Is it going to out grow the plug or affect the growth of the coral? Lastly, if you do remove them from the plug and glue them, will they grow on most areas of the rock (assuming the lighting and flow are correct) or does it have to be on a flat area and will it keep dividing until the rock is covered. I know this is a lot of questions but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

IMG_0419.jpg

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer to your question is you can do whichever is easier by leaving on the plug or removing it! Some people just leave on frag plug and glue down the plug to the rock and some remove the coral and reattach the to the rock. Either way you will need some 2 part coral epoxy and I also use super glue on both sides of the epoxy to help it stick until cured fully. If you decide to leave on the plug it will not affect the growth as the corals will usually just grow over the plug. If removing frag and gluing to a rock just do a search on here about mounting frags and I'm sure you will find many threads because there are a few different was to do it. I personally mix up the epoxy and make a ball shape then put a dab of super glue gel on the ball and place frag into ball on super glue spot. Then I put a large dab of super glue on the opposite side of the frag and then place underwater in the desired spot.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Short answer to your question is you can do whichever is easier by leaving on the plug or removing it! Some people just leave on frag plug and glue down the plug to the rock and some remove the coral and reattach the to the rock. Either way you will need some 2 part coral epoxy and I also use super glue on both sides of the epoxy to help it stick until cured fully. If you decide to leave on the plug it will not affect the growth as the corals will usually just grow over the plug. If removing frag and gluing to a rock just do a search on here about mounting frags and I'm sure you will find many threads because there are a few different was to do it. I personally mix up the epoxy and make a ball shape then put a dab of super glue gel on the ball and place frag into ball on super glue spot. Then I put a large dab of super glue on the opposite side of the frag and then place underwater in the desired spot.

+1 very solid answer

OP
OP
sundog101

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Just glued one frag today and the super glue with epoxy worked great. Very helpful!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back