What am I doing wrong that I cant get chalices to live

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought $1500 worth of chalices from Richard (Cornbread) and they all either died within hours or are dying. I bought 2 more and they just died as soon as I put them in the tank. My other stuff is growing and I have two chalices from other people but Richards don't make it which is adman shame because his are the best anywhere. I have 3 actinic an 1 actinic day on the tank and I put them on the bottom. The only filtration I have is a skimmer rated for 250gal on a 100 gal tank. I have other stuff growing like crazy including acros on top and other LPSs that are doing well. Richard said use only actenic but I tried that and they still died. Can you guys help me out? Chalices are my favorite but I cant just keep killing expensive frags over and over.

BSA Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see pictures of the frags were they healed before shipping? sounds like stess from shipping or unhealty frags

OP
OP
James w Lewis

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have pics but they were all healed. He's kept them for a couple weeks. Whatever the problem is,it's on my end.

Munch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up all your parameters...

And stop buyin expensive chalices. Buy 1, if you can keep it alive, then proceed slowly. You're just wasting $$ :(

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system? What kind of flow, lighting, parameters do you keep? The more details about your system, the better we can help.

Reefhunter007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does he mean use only actinic ??? That is crazy I have no problems there must be some type of stress related or chemical issue" try a cheap chalice and see what happens do you have anymore chalice alive?

OP
OP
James w Lewis

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He uses only blue LEDs except for Actinic white t5 two hours a day. And yes I have other chalices I had just received 2 from Jason Fox a week before and they are fine

foxhuntr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does sound like stressed out frags from shipping ..i have bought a few from Negret and they are very tiny booger frags and very sensitive to alk changes........did you acclimate them slowly ? Plus your alk is probably way off from Negrets and it could be alk shock......and i agree.... .stop buying those high end expensive frags......

tttttt4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I always check alk and pH of the water any frags come in. If it i noticably different from mine, I acclimate long and slow.

aautio1004

newbie in training
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the long acclimation. And most do seem to prefer low light and low flow. Although for some reason all my rainbow ones seem to enjoy being at the top of my tank right next to my circulation fans...but they're the only ones I have that like that. I guess they're just weirdos

verz36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i gotten many chalices from richard and they do fine. never lost any. i agree with the others about giving info from your system. i keep my alk at 8 and dont let it get under seven or past 9 and everything do just fine in my tank. besides parametters you also have to watch out for fish picking at this chalices or maybe a shrimp. so provide more info so people can help you here..

Back