Lobo help!!!

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Lobo for about 6 months, and for the mass majority of that time its been a happy, heavy eating, awesome coral...... Its taked a sharp turn for the worse and I dont know why. There was a bit of green hair algae around it that I thought may be upsetting it so I scrubbed it off. But Im worried im gonna lose it. Does anybody have any advice? here is a before and after pic.
lobo good.jpg
lobo bad.jpg

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the after picture is on the right. It looks bleached. Bleaching is caused by several things. Most commonly too much light. Second a swing in water chemistry. Not sure of your lighting but it being bleached means you must place it in a lower light area until its coloring returns. Feed it a few times a week, since it is bleached it will not be able to get nourishment from lighting.

What type of lighting are you using, and where do you now have the lobo? Depth of tank is also important when telling what lighting you have.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in a coralife bio cube 29 gallon... Its sitting half way in the tank, prolly about 12 inches below the surface... It's in a spot where it gets a pretty calm current... I have tried to feed it and it's feeder tentacles won't come out, and won't eat. However it does react to the food like it knows it's there... I keep a tight eye on my water parameters so there is never a big swing with those. I can try moving it to a lower light area for a while if you think that will help...

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting does the tank have? The lobo should be on sand bed. Since it is bleached place it in area of sand bed that is now slightly shaded. The zooxanthellae is comprised and needs to heal and regrow before the lobo can be placed in its normal lighting. In medium lighting when the lobo is not bleached. Now the lobo is getting high light.

Continue to try and feed the lobo in the low light shaded area. Also add powder or liquid coral food to water at night. The powder and liquid foods can be absorbed into coral.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just has the stock 10000k and actinic... Plus 2 added blue LED strips.. What is the brand name for the powder or liquid food you speak of? Do they sell these at most LFS?

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like either t5's or power compacts. Not sure of wattage on the stock system, but that too much light for lobo to be placed half up in tank.

Most lfs will sell both powder and liquid foods for corals.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobos likes a ton of light. They like higher light mid to high dependingon type of par your putting out.

Looks like it could of been a bad lobo from the start at the FSH store.

The also like Mid flow.

I have my gold speckle green purple lobo under a 8bulb atI sun power fixture sitting 20" below the fixture and it getting about 300par. And good flow. My blub setup is to have good par for color, as well as growth.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I'm getting they like low light, and high light. I don't have a explanation to why the lobo has gone sour, I just want to fix it.

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobos are not low they are medium. It needs to be in low until it regains it color. Lobos may be acclimated to higher light but only after weeks of acclimating. 12" from the top of water under lighting is too much light. The lobo picture is bleached for too much light.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do like high lighter. Please for a care sheet in google type in lobo coral care sheet.

Live aquira will come up click on there link andit will tell you the specs for that coral.

Too me it looks like itwas turningsour from he time you bought itfrom the LFS Looks like stn on it. Also it could be due took lake of lightas well. How love have you had it.? And have you been feeding I.? What's yournitrats and also all mag cal and phos andph levels.? Do you have any other LPs in the tank.?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will lower it to try and regain color. Like I said, it's still alive, it does react to food, just doesn't eat like it should. I will move it lower and see what happens

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobos are not low they are medium. It needs to be in low until it regains it color. Lobos may be acclimated to higher light but only after weeks of acclimating. 12" from the top of water under lighting is too much light. The lobo picture is bleached for too much light.

Before you tell someone anythingfind outhow long hey have had it and tank specs. IMO that's not allot of light for his tank its. PAR that is the key faction that plays the roll in peoples tanks.

Also if it was doing bad when he gt it. It could of gotten stressed or something happend.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you need to move it down. Lobo are very hardy and not much can mess them up IMO and IME. I think its getting too much light, perhaps mixed with something else. A healthy one could probably take some higher light like rob/gab said, but you might have something else going on as well as blasting it with light. How are the rest of your tank LPS? SPS? Chalices? Acans?

A longer photo period than needed could also effect it. Maybe try a triton test to see where your at? Small cost for piece of mind IMO

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also wanted to point out coral looks healthy as far as being fat and fluffy. I wouldn't know key parts of what it could be that it released its zooanthelle. Put it a little bit down and feed it allot give it a week do in this aso make sure no crabs or anythingsteal its food. Keep and eye on it and see ifanymtype of change.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 acans down low loving life
A war paint Scoly on the sand bed doing well.
Plate coral is dying but not worried about that.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 3.1 (dosing)
Cal 350 (dosing)
Nitrates-0
Ammonia-0
Alk-11

Water is ok, I keep a solid eye on it.

PH. IS 3.1?!?!?!? OR 8.1??????

ALSO DKH IS A BIT HIGH. How longhave you been runningdkh at 11? With dkh at that level cal I think sould be 400. Your tank is small and depending on stock youighrbe over dosing so keepingit high. But IMO people run there tanks differet. I run my tank SPS AND LPS. 7.5-8DKH. WITH 390-410CAL - PH i-8.1

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you dosing.? And you using a Doser or manual do sing like I do.? I add 20alk 25cal straight in a minute apart from each other in a 100g system LPs SPS HEAVY. So I have keep points for GH em to be consuming the alk and cal.

And in our 65 SPS DOM with clalices 30alk 25cal.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry... 8.1 typo
These measurement are right before I did a 2 gal water change yesterday. I have not been home today to check it.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose calcium 2 times a week, and a product called 8.4 every night for the PH... I also dose iodine 2x weekly as well as magnesium.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back