Acan Problem

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I made a mistake, that cost me a few Acan frags & would like to know if anyone has heard of this happening before. I set up a 40g tank just for LPS corals, mostly Acan's though. My plan was to mount my acan frags to the Live Rock in the tank instead of making a Acan Garden on the sand bed.

To mount the Acan frags to the LR, I was going to use some of that 2 part reef safe epoxy. So I get all the frags mounted and all looking good and feeling happy with the job I had done in the tank. Then about 24 hours later, I noticed that I had lost a mini colony, pulled it out of the tank and thought that I had just upset the coral with all of that moving things around in the tank. About an hour later I notice another smaller frag not doing so good, now I am getting worried. What could be going wrong here, the Chalices, poly's & zoas in the tank are doing just fine, what could cause the Acans to be dieing on me. Not knowing what was going on, I pulled every Acan out of the tank and put them into my bigger display tank and they are still there as we speak. All of the Acans are doing great in my larger display tank, no more coral loses. There are one or two that aren't doing so good, but they were like that before I put them into the bigger tank, jmo I think one of them will make a come back.

I have racked my brain as to what I had done to cause this to happen. I did a battery of water test, everything good. I have come to the conclusion that what has happened, is that, I used to much of the reef safe epoxy, gotten some of it on the acans themselves and that this is what caused them to die on me. I have never heard of this happening, but with the other corals in the tank doing good & water test coming out good ,,, its kinda the last thing on the table that could be the cause.

Any thoughts for me?

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a clue but I am pretty sure a 50% water change will fix the problem. Do that and then add one good looking frag just for checking. If everything is ok with that one then add the rest of them.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were they placed in the tank? If you moved them to a new area that had higher flow or light, that could have caused a problem.

OP
OP
Braves Fan

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a sizeable water change the day after the problems, but after testing the tank water. I am pretty confident lol its a epoxy thing, but will find out after a test piece or two is put back into the tank. I am only going to use the epoxy in, have to situations this time around, use Gel glue in all the other places.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back