Rainbow Chalices - Let's talk about them!

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to talk about the rainbow chalices that seem to be everywhere lately. I just like knowing the history of such attractive corals. I really DON'T want this thread to be about pricing.

Where are they from?
Are they cultured?
Which ones are the same? * Note: Spare me your "this vendor is evil and passing off the same coral as different pieces" suspicions on this front. If you know (and better yet can prove) which are the same (1 colony split in 2), speak up. As someone that got the brunt of the pink *******/vivid echino lashings, I get the difference between similar/same coral and same colony :nerd:

Share your general experiences with them. Pics, of course, are great!!

Some of the ones I know about (please add to the list):

SC dynamite
SC flash bomb
SC atom bomb
Joe's shockfire
CB Fuego
CB Rainbow crush
CB blue crush
CB flaming bugatti
CB my bugatti
CB crazy clown
CB last shadow
Unknown I found on R66: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Route66chalicjune12012.jpg
WWC jellybean
WWC masterpiece
JF sweettooth
JF firedancer

Last edited:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been wondering similar things to you. There are SO MANY of them!

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose vendors aren't going fall all over themselves trying to post in this thread that chalice A is the same colony as chalice B... but I hope to get at least a little bit of info going :gossip:

Last edited:

Madreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I started a very simillar thread a few months ago and got zero response. Peter maybe you'll have a greater response! Wish I could afford a few on that list.

Might be the same coral as the r66 one you posted...
4c95b340.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn't know there was one already started! Apologies :eek:

I suppose I can start by saying I have the dynamite, flash bomb, and shock fire.

The flash bomb, based on how dark the orange is on the rim, is not the same as the dynamite, as far as I can tell. The shock fire is definitely not like either of the other two. But, the pic of the r66 chalice (the on I posted) does remind me of the shock fire. Of course comparing real life to a photo is extremely unreliable.

Also, just from pics, what I can tell is that the rainbow crush is not like either of the three I have, based on the slight "brushed" look of darker color to the bumbs on the red areas.

Last edited:

Rockadile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me many of them look like they were grafted at some point in time and as it grew the colors characteristics mixed better.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would also be interesting to talk about the color patterns. What causes some parts to be red, some blue? Is it random, or triggered by some sort of external stimulus? It's pretty fascinating how red leading in to eye or rim turns orange, while blue leading in to eye or rim truns green...

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have either of the crush pieces yet Peter? Getting them in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to compare them better, only ones I have so far are the flash bomb and dynamite. Both very nice and bright chalices, definitely distinct pieces. Thinking of adding the shockfire, is it worth it? Here's pics of the flash bomb and dynamite (both in growouts).

Flash Bomb
IMG_2340-1.jpg

dymamite
IMG_3458.jpg

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any of the crush pieces. I really want the blue crush though... the random streaks of red are so cool!

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 of them from your list and 2 un-named ones from WWC that they are naming soon. I think its fairly obvious which ones are from the same colony and which are a different chalice all together.

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 of them from your list and 2 un-named ones from WWC that they are naming soon. I think its fairly obvious which ones are from the same colony and which are a different chalice all together.

LOL...would you like a drumroll first? :bigsmile:

Spill your thoughts!

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with doing a comparison like this is you really need to have all the chalices next to each other and grown out more than a one eye bugger. Then you need the person to have them all under the same lighting and take pictures with the same camera all next to each other. I know this sounds ridiculous to do, but that is really the only way. Some pics are photoshopped and some are under really intense blue lighting which can make the same pieces look different. The other issue is that chalice colonies can have different patterns on different sides. Just like the striped chalice madness we just went through a few months ago, this one two shall pass and just like the striped chalices the prices will all drop to the same area as well.

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL...would you like a drumroll first? :bigsmile:

Spill your thoughts!

LOL, If I spilled my thoughts they would get deleted and I would get in trouble. I will send you a PM about what my thoughts are. Give me a day, I am out for the night. Have a good one!!

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sort of messy green striping does match the pic of the atom bomb SC has on the website more than any of the others...

OP
OP
SDguy

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like the striped chalice madness we just went through a few months ago, this one two shall pass and just like the striped chalices the prices will all drop to the same area as well.

Speaking of, did you see the beautiful Golden Basket one on Ebay right now?

SteezySPS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, If I spilled my thoughts they would get deleted and I would get in trouble. I will send you a PM about what my thoughts are. Give me a day, I am out for the night. Have a good one!!
LOL. I know of one colony being sold under a different name and one that has grey striations that never turns blue. I'll pm you later

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back