revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ambushpreadtorarticle.jpg

How to Train an Ambush Predator to Eat Prepared Foods

It is well known that feeding saltwater, ambush predators feeder fish that are grown in freshwater environments are lacking in certain fats and nutrients. Getting a new marine fish to accept prepared foods can be tricky. The only other option is to rear saltwater feeder fish, but this is no easy task. Mollies can adapt to saltwater, be fed a marine-based diet, and will breed readily, but keeping up a steady supply is hard, especially for voracious feeders such as lionfish and groupers.

Having kept a wide variety of saltwater predators, I finally came up with a solution that is both easy and nearly guaranteed to work. I start the new fish with standard freshwater feeders such as guppies, goldfish, and ghost shrimp. These freshwater feeders should be gut-loaded with marine foods to try to pass along as many marine fats and vitamins as possible leading up to the full conversion. The way I introduce these feeders is the most important part. I scoop them out of their holding tank and into a net. I then submerge that net into the display aquarium housing the saltwater predator while holding it steady inside the display at mid-water level. The feeders eventually make their way out of the net, swim around a bit, but are eaten in short order.

After doing this day after day, the predator eventually learns to associate that net with food. After a while, the predatory fish will start to swim up to and even inside the net to gulp down the feeders before they scurry out of the net. It is much easier to corner and consume those feeders in the net then chasing them all over the display. At this point, it is time to make the switch to some prepared foods.

Once the predator has been going into the net to get their food for a week or two, I swap out the feeders for frozen surrogates. If I have been using feeder guppies or goldfish, I instead defrost some silversides of comparable size and place them into the net. Dethawed, frozen krill is a good substitute for ghost shrimp. If the predator were eating several feeders at a time, it would be a good idea to introduce the frozen substitutes in a 50/50 mix with the feeders. But eventually, the predator can be weaned onto eating any food that is placed into the net. I have successfully trained numerous species of grouper as well as lionfish (both dwarf species and volitans) to accept even cubed prepared foods such as Ocean Nutrition Formula One.

Offering a variety of marine foods to a saltwater ambush predator will ensure that they get the nutrition that they need to live a long healthy life. Given this technique a try. The worst that has ever happened to me is that the predatory fish ruined a few nets along the way, but they are cheap enough to replace. Good luck!

Steven Pro has had an aquarium for as long as he can remember, but didn't get into marines until sometime in the early 1990's. He started working full-time in the ornamental aquatics industry in the summer of 1995, primarily doing design, installations, and on-going maintenance of aquariums. He has also worked previously for Red Sea and IceCap Inc. Along the way, he was a contributor to WetWebMedia, had over 40 articles published with more on the way, spoken at over 60 clubs and conferences, and co-hosted MACNA 19. He is currently the President of MASNA.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please let us know your thoughts and your experiences. Also if you have any questions Steven will try and help you. :D

Oh and share those pictures!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody appreciates this article? :(

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I've always trained my old preds is with a clear acrylic rod 1/8"-1/4" with shrimp or silversides on the end of it the rod almost disappears so all the fish or eel sees is a piece of meat in front of it's face and you can wiggle it around that's always worked for me (wish I still had my dragon eel ): ) but great article rev wish there was more predatory tanks like there were back in the day before corals haha

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a low-flow powerhead and aim it at the food so that it has some movement to it. Always worked for me.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other great ideas!

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Steve/Rev for the article. "Tricks of the trade" are always very useful and provide a simple solution to a complex problem.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet! training fish to feed out of a net is also a good way to catch problem fish. same principle - fish associate net with food...couple weeks of this and you can easily scoop out that fish you wish you'd never added.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree great idea!

Tat2demon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much how I accidentally trained my Sargassum Frogfish to eat frozen. I fed it grass shrimp for 3 weeks and used the net to coral them towards the fish. After 3 weeks he knew that if the net was there it was time to eat. I picked up a fresh shrimp at the local store seafood counter and put it on a skewer. It looked close enough to the net that my frog came right out and snatched it on the first try.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back