Top 5 mistakes made by new reef aquarium hobbyist

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new at salt water living hobby. I do wish I had a bigger tank, I am currently using a 30 gallon. But great lighting, filtering and cleaning regiment.. Any advice would be great.

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me wayyyy back then was trusting the LFS that their water was ROdi water.. =( alot of places dont even care they use since water or they too cheap to change out their DI so the tds is well over 100 .. ticks me off. But hey now i know if you want something done right you do it yourself.

KillerKlownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a lot of good info.
I just started myself.
I got a 34 gal tank. I would love to go bigger but I don't think financially I can afford to go bigger nor do I have the space to go bigger. I do have the time though.
I'd say IMHO start small in time if you can handle bigger do it since you will be more experienced. Otherwise I will look for your add on Craig's list when I am ready to go bigger.

I learned a lot from everyone on the forum. Thanks Guys!!!

A few things I learned on my own was:

Don't listen to 1 LFS go to a few and talk to them get to know them and see who is honest and who just wants to sell stuff to you. Stuff you don't need. Also I experienced different employees giving different prices.
Also see if your LFS can get you the frags you want at their prices. They order in bulk so you won't pay that extra $40 for shipping and if doesn't make it they won't charge you. Less hassle for you.

If you buy live online don't buy big. Place a small order and see how they ship the stock. I ordered a few snails and crabs and it came in a bag w little water and in a cardboard box.
There's a guy online with a video of his shipment in a bag w enough water surrounded by great insulation. Half my order was half frozen (take weather into consideration) his was perfectly protected.

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are all good suggestions to learn by. I am truly in love with this hobby. My lesson learned sis that not all local fish stores are on our side. The first one I came in contact sounded wonderful. But wasn't looking out for MY tank, but HIS cash register.

Reef Craver16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest mistake by far was not using RO/DI when starting. I switched from freshwater which I used treated tap water with Chlor-Out.. Switched to Reef/SW and thought well it worked for fresh,,, needless to say never could get rid of Cyano.. had to tear whole thing down and start over. bleached rocks, hosed and bleached tank, and plumbing. had to make all the water from scratch while my fish/coral were in buckets sitting around the house..

dbraunst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add for newbies to not go to forums like this and listen to the advice of someone who has been in the hobby a month longer than they have. Listen to the people who have been there and done that like many people here. Do your research before you buy the tank, equipment, livestock (I'm still guilty of spontaneous fish purchases I later regret)...etc. Read anything from Julian Sprung or Ron Shimek. I've also found through the years how it important to know yourself and your limitations. If I get a 150 gallon tank am I going to have the time to care for it properly. I've never had anything above 30 gallons because I live in small places generally and know that I don't have the time to take care of large tanks. Also, I have been guilty even up until recently in trying to keep specimens, like more difficult SPS, that I truly don't understand and that I should never have gotten in the first place. Know what your lights, tank size, and knowledge will allow you to keep and *try* not to drool over incredible tanks and chase that elusive place until you are ready.

loyalhero90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I love nanos...

I've only been doing this for about 3 years and I agree with everything but 1 mostly because I really enjoy nanos and picos. Maybe I'll get a big tank when I'm more stable but I enjoy the smaller ones for some reason...especially shallow tanks.
The RO/DI water is a hit and miss because I've had no problems with tap water from one location but bad problems in another...

Sicklid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a quarantine tank!! Its a must, I learned the lesson by the hard way. I had a healthy tank till I introduced a pom pom crab, next 2 days, one of my clowns got sick, next day the other one too. They got some kind of fungus. Every reefer should have set up a quarantine tank!!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us a guilty of this when we first start....trusting the LFS guy!
One tried telling me a longhorn cowfish would thrive in my 5gal and also sold me mojano anemones (I didn't know better at the time) as "assorted zoas". That was a headache I really didn't want lol.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us a guilty of this when we first start....trusting the LFS guy!
One tried telling me a longhorn cowfish would thrive in my 5gal and also sold me mojano anemones (I didn't know better at the time) as "assorted zoas". That was a headache I really didn't want lol.

I actually do have an LFS guy I trust. Kyle at Deep Sea Creations in Temecula, CA is a good one to talk to. Tell him Matt and Lisa referred you to the store. n.n They're the only LFS I have ever seen that actually treats any sick fish they get in, too. Definitely one to support.

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually do have an LFS guy I trust. Kyle at Deep Sea Creations in Temecula, CA is a good one to talk to. Tell him Matt and Lisa referred you to the store. n.n They're the only LFS I have ever seen that actually treats any sick fish they get in, too. Definitely one to support.

It's good to have a trustworthy guy nearby and there are a lot of good LFS around. But there's so many more bad one than good ones (from what I've experienced). I mean the ones that'll push that baby naso tang on someone who has a 50gal just to make a sale. Or tell someone "yea, those t8s will grow acros better than anything! I'll give you this one, this one and this one for cheap". I use to visit an LFS regularly and I can't go back there because I feel sick when I hear what these people are telling customers. I could go into detail, but I'd probably take over the thread with a long angry rant haha.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's good to have a trustworthy guy nearby and there are a lot of good LFS around. But there's so many more bad one than good ones (from what I've experienced). I mean the ones that'll push that baby naso tang on someone who has a 50gal just to make a sale. Or tell someone "yea, those t8s will grow acros better than anything! I'll give you this one, this one and this one for cheap". I use to visit an LFS regularly and I can't go back there because I feel sick when I hear what these people are telling customers. I could go into detail, but I'd probably take over the thread with a long angry rant haha.

I hear ya >.<

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back