How to Keep a Log of Your Reef Aquarium: By Quartapound

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How to Keep a Log of Your Reef Aquarium

Keeping an accurate, consistent log of your reef aquarium is something everyone in the hobby should do. It’s one of the simplest steps you can take to help ensure the health of your reef system over a long term, as it doesn’t cost any money, and doesn’t take very long.
There are 4 basic ways to obtain information for a log about your reef system.
  • Photographic
UjBKs.jpg

This comprises of a series pictures which have been taken at a regular interval, to show the progression of the tank. It’s recommended to try and maintain a consistent point of view when taking the pictures. This is usually best accomplished by using a tripod, and taking note of the camera’s height and the tripod’s distance from the tank. It’s also a good idea to use the same zoom level and aperture settings between shots, and make sure the picture you take is a “full tank shot”-a picture where your entire tank is in-frame. Using the same light settings (especially if you have LED’s) in each picture is also important, because we all know a tank can completely transform under different spectrum's and mixtures of lighting. The only time this isn’t feasible is when you’re upgrading your lights. This makes the pictures you’ve taken previously a very valuable resource to compare coral growth, and any positive or negative effects the new lighting may have. Taking the picture at or around the same time every day (usually best during the "peak" of whatever your lighting period is,to display similar polyp extension in all your photos. On that note it’s also a great idea to take a picture of all new coral additions to the tank, so you can monitor their growth/health over time. The interval between ‘full tank shots’ will vary between hobbyists, however most would agree that one picture every 2-4 weeks would be optimal to display the growth and progression of your tank. Sometimes it’s difficult for us to see changes in our tanks because we look at the tank so often. Being able to reference and compare pictures over time allows us to quantify these progressions much better than our memory serves us! It can be a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction to see the progression your tank makes, and it’s also a great thing to show to others… so get out that camera and start taking pictures!​
  • Electronic data-logging
bsnZY.jpg

These are data logs which have been created by an aquarium controller (like an apex aquacontoller, reef keeper lite, ghl profilux). The most common water parameters recorded by these units are temperature, ph, salinity and ORP. Commonly, the software included with the controller will allow you to graph certain parameters to better visualize any changes or fluctuations. these logs are not commonly recorded long term, so their values should be included when your making your own log
  • Observations

An observational log is another useful way to document your reef aquarium, and include things for which a test kit may not exist, although will still be useful to document.
Examples of useful observations to write down about your reef tank would be:​
  • [*=1]the appearance, or disappearance of an algae or bacterial bloom,[*=1]when a new addition to the tank has been made,[*=1]if you noticed that a coral wasn’t looking very happy,[*=1]when you started feeding a new kind of food,[*=1]the date you began/changed your dosing regimen,[*=1]when you deep clean (vinegar soak) your equipment,[*=1]Anything else you feel might be worth remembering down the road!
  • Water Parameter tests
UBct2.jpg

Water parameters (water quality) is arguably the most important single aspect of our hobby. Most of us own test kits for a variety of water parameters, and use them regularly. After performing these tests, it only takes a few more seconds to record these results. We strive to maintain very consistent water parameters, as it’s widely agreed that it plays a crucial role in proper animal husbandry. Recording these results and being able to view them over a given period of time allows you to ‘magnify’ any fluctuations in water parameters.

Most hobbyists combine their observational log and water parameter log into the same location.
Common ways of recording this data would be:
  • Paper notebook
  • Paper calendar
  • Electronic calendar
  • Electronic spreadsheet
k47Hl.jpg

Most would agree that an electronic spreadsheet is the best means of chronicling your aquarium data. It allows you to very easily keep all your data neat, easy to read and access. You have unlimited space, and can easily backup your data (Store it in at least 3 places!) You can start simple by recording data, and add more complex bells and whistles like graphs for the data points you've recorded like your ph or temperature levels. There are templates you can find online which have a lot of the work done for you… Although, the best possible type of log is the one you’ll use! The log is no good if it’s empty! So pick whichever method you’re most comfortable with, as that’s the one you’re most likely to stick with and use over the long term.

To wrap everything up, keeping a consistent, accurate log of your reef aquarium is a very useful for more reasons than I could probably list, but here are a few major ones. If (and when) a problem arises, you have somewhere to go. You’ll have information from previous tests to be able to compare against whatever your current crisis involves. You'll know when you bought that fish, or when was the last time you 'really' cleaned your skimmer, how many heads your hammer coral started out as... You will also be able to provide a lot more information, faster, and easier (just cut and paste!) to anybody online who may be trying to help you.

Now, go…. start filling out your spreadsheet…. Setup your camera for your first bi-weekly full tank shot… The benefits far outweigh the time it’ll take to do, I promise!​

Last edited:

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to but that ended quick. I may take down numbers if I want to figure out dosing ect. but that's about it. Considering I'm about to start up a new SPS nano I think it is prob a good idea to keep track of Ca and Alk to keep a steady environment.

BebeCR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paper notebook I keep in a drawer under my nano, close to my 36g. I write there everyting from day one first with my 12g nano and now with my 36g. I keep record of water changes, water paramenters, dosing, new stock (form, size, heads, price, etc.), change in equipment, any observation: aggretion, sickness, death, etc.

Is nice when you ask yourself "How many heads have the frogspawn when I bought it?" and find that a frag that start on three heads now have more than seven big ones and more than 8 babies (in just 8-9 months!!) :smile:

...and is also very useful when you see some "damaged" corals and try to find the reason :eek:oh:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a log but you need pics to go with em...i have logs of my tanks and i go back to look and its just a bunch of numbers, lol.

BebeCR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a log but you need pics to go with em...i have logs of my tanks and i go back to look and its just a bunch of numbers, lol.
It's true. I try to take a picture of each animal when I first bought it, and at any time interval just to see the growth. Also each time I have any type of situation. But I keep the log and the pictures on different areas (drawer - computer). It would be really nice to have all the information together in the same place!

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just do a never ending reef journal thread...take pics, type data...the dates are on each post, so that saves on finger smacking. Just an idea.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this two ways. First I use a paper copy of all my test results. I log once a week. I then put it all into an excel file. I also log water changes, carbon changes, increases in my dosing pumps, when I added a coral and so on. It's really cool when you can go back a year or two and see what's been going on long term. Also helps when things are going bad. You can look back and see everything when things were good. Logging everything is the way to go!

luisgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a log of my tanks (4) in an excel spreadsheet. There I have the date, what tank by gallon (eg.125, 30, 55, 12) event description like water change, media replacement or addition (carbon, gfo, biopellets, calcium reactor media), Co2 tank refill, light bulbs replacement (MH,VHO's), new corals and fish additons or dead, cost of the additions, where purchased, etc.

Tank parameters are not included unless they are off. Regular duties like cleaning the skimmer cup and cleaning my overflow sponges every three days are not included. No need for that.

I have to say that I agree 100% with the idea of taking photos of the tank frequently. There is no better way to see the effect of maintenance and changes than with photos. I started with my first tank in 1990 and I have photos of my tanks since then. I can keep exact track of the age of each of my corals and fish.

Last edited:

cellowithgills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using Rite in the Rain notebooks from logging. I've got a DuraRite that I use for most of my logging purposes. It's water proof, and can even be used under water with the right pen. They have some great page configurations that are perfect for logs. Their a bit expensive, but worth every penny if you've ever done something stupid like dumped your notebook into the sump :cry:

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquatic Log to track my tanks. There is a free version or a pay version that has more options (multiple tanks, backup option, etc.). There is an iPhone app for logging diary entries, water tests, water changes, and dosing. I use my iPad while I'm working on the tank and enter everything as I go. Maybe it's not for everyone, but I find it to be very efficient for my needs.

Here's my tank: sekunda2003's 29 Mixed Reef

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks at home so I use a separate wall calendar to record water changes.This way I can see at a glance which tanks are going to need cleaning soon.I record water parameters in a notebook with sections for each aquarium.After reading your article I realize that I should be taking more photographs.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquaPlanner app is pretty sweet. You can set up different tanks and set up alerts for each of them ie water change, carbon, lights etc etc etc...
You can also log all your tank params and it puts it into a nice graph.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquaplanner on my iPhone and I love it. Simple to use and has some great features.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back